1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should I have done?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I string and the place I work with/for.. and it remains a crapshoot in that I never know what they're looking for.. If I put a straight lede on a story, they will sometimes make it more featurey. But if I do the featurey turn, they make it straight news ... of course that varies depending on which dept/editor is handling it. If I were on staff, I'd want to be consulted. I'm not on staff. Changing the lede doesn't change the story and I just let it roll off my back. Then again, I can't remember actually missing the story.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A lot of desk people look at the call to the writer as just a courtesy, but really it's also protection against the desk person misreading what the writer is trying to say and/or making assumptions that might not be valid. There should be a (remote) possibility that the writer can talk you out of a change. Also, it helps the writer's growth if he understands exactly why changes were made. On golf I'm a bit less sure of arbitrary changes in the thrust of the main story. Sometimes the writer will write about someone one day because he already plans to write somebody else tomorrow, or he writes someone one day because he doesn't think that person will be worth writing about tomorrow or the next day. There's often some sort of plan in an effort to avoid having to write about the same person all four days, especially if the main is less play by play and more inclusive of background/feature material.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

he's a stringer. fuck 'im

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While I agree Huntsie made the right call in this case by changing the lede, "he's a stringer, fuck 'em" is a pretty cavalier attitude to take. At many shops, stringers might be better or have more experience than the staff writers.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I agree with the school of thought that it sounds like this might be different than a typical "stringer" and that a call should have been made.

I also agree, however, that if he's going to say he's never going to do golf again, then he can never do anything else again, either.

This probably can be solved in a 10-minute conversation, but if it can't, I then fall into the "fuck 'im" school.

6. accguy

accguy Member

My attitude on this is the same as the main guy at night at my place: If an editor thinks it is important enough of a situatuion to change the lead, then it is important enough to call the writer.

I think that is only fair.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He still works for that paper and still has his name at the top of the story. I don't care what your title is, you've still got the right to know what's happening with your story. Obviously, there are some times where there's just no time to make the call.

But that's the last approach I'd take.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Then, after deadline, you send him a note, explain the circumstances and the reasoning for said story alterations. It's called communication and professional courtesy. And, for our copy editors, it's their job.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's not about golf. The writer needs to be better and finding the heart of the story. He also needs to realize that its your call not his. When I was younger, if I told one of my bosses, I'll never cover golf again, they'd probably say good we have 15 other people lined up who would love to do it.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I think the stringer deserved a phone call, although I understand you didn't have much, if any, time. However his insistence that he will no longer cover golf is childish and petty, and I think you should let him know that you decide the assignments and if he has to cover golf, so be it.

11. I'm young and have had ledes changed. My job is to write, the slot's job is to edit. If it happens, it is probably for the best. I may not be happy, but I learn from the changes.

12. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Thanks, folks. It's why I like coming here. I learn from you all. While I'm confident I made the right call in rewriting the story, and really didn't have the luxury of the time to make a phone call to explain the rewrite, I should have dashed off a quick e-mail telling him I was changing it.
    He wasn't happy -- I wouldn't have been either -- but we've worked it out. As I said, he's a valuable member of our team and was probably due more consideration than I had time to give him in this instance.

Draft saved Draft deleted