1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should I have done?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Apologies for the backstory, but it's relevant to what's going on.

As some of you know, I'm on a softball team that regularly plays its games on the National Mall. Space there, obviously, is at a premium; so it's in our best interests to get there early in the afternoon to hold a spot. And there are thousands of tourists there at any one time.

Since I had the day off, I was on field duty. I was the one who had to trudge out early and claim our spot. I took some reading material to pass the time away. I found a spot, put my glove down near home plate and went to relax near the pitcher's mound/circle/whatever.

At one point, I look up and see my glove is gone. I happen to look down the pathway and there's a little kid, no more than 5, walking with his mom - and my glove.

I gather up my stuff and hustle after them. When I finally catch up, I say, "Excuse me... did y'all take my glove?"

The mom, who seemed very nice, apologizes and said they asked someone nearby if they knew whose glove it was (apparently I was not close enough somehow). That person said they didn't know, so they picked it up.

She says the boy's a big baseball fan; apparently true, since he had on a Brian Roberts jersey and an O's cap (mom had O's gear too, FWIW). She says to the kid, 'OK, we have to give the glove back to him.'

He looks quite confused, but hands the glove to his mom (who hands it to me) without a word. She asks how to get to the Metro station; I tell them, and we're both on our separate ways.

But of course the hangdog look of a 5-year old gets to me. It's a cheap (though nice-looking) glove that has been through more than a few games. It wouldn't have killed me to part with it; then again, it really is my glove.

I feel conflicted on all of this... or maybe it's just the beer. Thoughts?
  2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Nah, you were right. So what if it was a 5-year-old? The kid's still walking off with something that's not his own, and mother condoned it, which is even more shocking.

You should have offered to sell it to him, or at least make a trade. The glove for the night with his mom sounds about right.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

At the risk of sounding calloused, the kid learned an important lesson: It's not right to take something that's not yours.
  4. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Active Member

Life is full of disappointments. The kid will learn that soon enough.
  5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's your glove. That's my thought, anyway. If it's someone I know, sure, I'll give the old glove to the kid. But to a random kid who tried (innocently or not) to walk off with it, no way.
  6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Peter King definitely has an opinion on this topic ...
  7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Heartless bastard. ;D

It sounds like you went out of your way to be nice about it. You definitely did the right thing. She's lucky he took your glove and not someone who lacks your class.
  8. Flash

Flash Guest

Nobody touches my glove. Nobody. It's like an extension of my arm. Touch it and pay the price. Don't care if you are five, 50 or 95. Ne touche pas!
  9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You should've bitch slapped him after that and said, "Not on my mall! Wooo!"
  10. That kid got off light. I would've punched him in the head till lottery numbers shot out of his ass.
  11. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

What?!?! I've never in my life heard that saying before, but I can guarantee you I'll use the hell out of it this weekend. With your permission of course.
  12. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Tough shit. The little fucker can get a job and buy his own damn glove.
Draft saved Draft deleted