1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should I do? Please help.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Bone it like you ... shit, wrong situation for that one.

Go. FirstDownPirates might be onto something by going solo.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That's... just... wrong...

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

OK, here's where I have a problem with the whole mentality that the wife-to-be should plan everything, that it's HER day and the groom just shows up.

If marriage is supposed to be a partnership, that's absolute bullshit. A wife who's getting ready to marry a sports editor shouldn't railroad her way into a Saturday wedding during football season. A wife shouldn't pick a wedding photographer the groom can't stand. Fuck that.

Damn glad I'm gay.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Can I be your hag?

I would never schedule my wedding during football season. And I can't schedule a wedding during softball season -- body is too ripped up from hitting the dirt.

My window of opportunity is between Super Bowl and May. A lovely spring wedding ...

You plan it for me and I'll be there.

If you could find the willing suitor, that would be great, too.

5. forever_town

Can you and sportschick share wing girl duties?

6. Flash

Flash Guest

She can be wing-girl. I want hag status. Big difference.

I think ... I don't know.

7. forever_town

I don't know, either. I despise the term hag.

And if anyone's wondering what my substitute word is, it's "friend."

But if you want the more uplifting equivalent of "hag," you've got it! :)

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Yay, me!

9. My baby was little over a month old when I flew half ways across the country to be at my college roommate's wedding. I got there the day of the wedding and left the next morning. It was hard to do but worth it.

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

My wife took our daughter, then a 6-month-old, to visit gramps in S. Florida. The baby vomited on takeoff and the flight attendant offered a couple of cocktail napkins to clean it up. (yes, seriously).

It was Delta and the connection was through Atlanta. It was also the day that moron ran through security a couple months after 9/11 and shut down the whole damn airport for something like six hours. :mad:

They were trapped and the extra diapers and formula ran out quickly. The airline refused to help them. Luckily a nice Irish couple had extra supplies. Landed in West Palm Beach about eight hours late.

As for the wedding, go. And the advice for smacking your friend for not giving you more notice, do that too.

11. the only concern i would have about flying in the day of is airline delays. sure, they're on time 95 percent of the time, but my luck would be to fly in the day of the wedding and be one of the five percent that is bent over.

pete, i wish you the best in getting this figured out.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I remember when my fiancee picked planned out wedding. Oct. 4 seemed like a good day at the time. How the heck was I supposed to know the Rangers were going to make the playoffs in 1996, and play their first home game that Friday night?
    12 years later, I'm still happily single.

But seriously, yeah if there's anyway you can make it in one day, then go. But since the buddy is an editor, he probably understands your situaiton if you can't go. You just never know how his attitude to you will be afterward though if you don't make it. If you do make it though, he owes you, big time.

Draft saved Draft deleted