1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should I do? Please help.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 16, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. As 93Devil posted, this is probably too much for the little one.

whatwoulddamondo is also correct. Your friend absolutely deserves a smack upside the head for such short notice. He really has put you in a bad spot with the timing.

But you have to be there. I thin you would really regret it if you didn't go. To quote Mrs. OOP when she found out how much it's going to cost for us to attend my best friend's wedding next month, "Your best friend only gets married once (or at least you hope so)."

When Mrs. OOP and I got married, the timing and distance made it very difficult for my best friend to attend, but he was there. It's a long story, Inky. PM me if you really want to hear it.The point is, due to the circumstances, it meant a great deal to me that he was there.

In addition to the wedding next month, I had to make a separate trip out for the bachelor party, which made this whole thing even more expensive. I'm spending every penny of it gladly. I wouldn't even consider missing any of this.

Besides, I'm going to make him pay for it with my best man's speech :)

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Thing is, the guy is an editor (and his paper has a sports department) and he's a football fan, for crying out loud.

I talked to him last night and he pinned it on his wife.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Echo the others. Go by yourself. Tell your boss you will be taking that time off (paid or unpaid). Offer to do something to make the situation easier.

If your boss says no, too bad. What would they do if you were sick in bed for the weekend? They'd suck it up. That's what they will have to do here, and you're telling them about it in advance.

It's a wedding, not some keg party. And as I've said on other threads, no one ever said on their deathbed that they wished they spent more time at the office.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

FWIW, Google says Key West to Seattle is 52 hours of driving. Even if you had four people driving and people took turns sleeping, you'd probably be looking at 4 days with food and toilet stops.

I don't know much about being invited to weddings, but I can Google stuff!

5. Definitely go to the wedding.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Get a courier rate. Sounds crazy, but maybe you can drop something off for a company so that your ticket is uber-cheap. Lots of people do it. Also, there are cheap rates if you're on-call for, IIRC, a 24- to 72-hour window. As in, the airline calls you and you have to be ready to go right then. Try the carrier rate first.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly. If I were your boss, as long as I have enough notice to cover your work, I'd definitely let you go to the wedding.

When you're as close to someone as it seems you are to this guy, missing his wedding would be like missing your brother's wedding. No job is so important that you do that.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't argue with him there. I pretty much let Mrs. OOP have her way on wedding planning, which is why we ended up with the photographer I couldn't stand. (His photos turned out great, but he was annoying).

But if I were you, I'd still be giving him tremendous amounts of shit for it.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Just go my man. When you're on your death bed, you're not going to remember the game you covered. But you'll damn sure remember watching your boy get married.

If your job is like mine, you love it. But we, in general, don't get paid enough to miss moments like this.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sucks for you but go solo if you can. Do not make your little one do it nor your wife.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Be there for him, but go alone. Check out the cheap airfare sites.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This is a can't miss, bud.

Draft saved Draft deleted