1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should I do? Please help.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Ok, I got married in June 2007. I was engaged in 2006. I asked my best man to be my best man in 2006 — shortly after the engagement. We've been friends and teammates since middle school. We went to different colleges, remained close. We worked on opposite ends of the country, we remained close. We're both journalists. We talk every day.

Three weeks ago, he decided to ask his girlfriend to marry him — on the final weekend of October.

It's a small, small wedding — no real wedding party. But not quite just going down to city hall and getting the JP to wed them. He wants me there. I want to be there. Badly.

It's a 25-hour drive from me. Obviously that means we fly if we go. But we have a seven-month old. I'm out of vacation days (although I'm owed three days off for working stat holidays). And really, I can't afford to fly and stay somewhere for three to five days. Plus, I cover football and already missed one game for a wedding this season.

Do I/we (wife and baby) suck it up and do this?

Or, do I tell him I simply can't make it for all the reasons above? If I do that, I'll feel like such a dick.

2. you tell him you're there, then you smack him upside the head for not giving you more notice.

and you tell your boss that family/friends come first. and if bossman can't accept that, you go above his head.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Go by yourself. Fly in the day of and fly out the day after.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Asking a sportswriter to take a weekend off during football season is like asking a tax accountant to take off a week during March.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Exactly. Which is why I could have killed my brother-in-law this weekend.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Winner!

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Don't fly with the baby. It's too much to ask of Lil Ink.

Hopefully you have a JetBlue or a Southwest close.

You have to drive 25 hours? Is this Key West to Seattle? Lord.

Is this a location wedding?

8. jps

jps Active Member

yeah ... go solo, back and forth quickly. ask to get your days off that week over the weekend. offer to write something ahead of time to run over that time if your being gone will leave a hole in coverage.

(if you all go, be prepared ... having flown with a little one about that age, it's like craps. might be nothing - first leg of flight - or awful - final leg of flight, or both.)

9. jetblue's prices have spiked a bit in the last couple months, and they're now on par with the "big" carriers. they're no longer the bargain they used to be.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like the best option to me.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Making that drive in 25 hours would be rather impressive.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know. It's more a Phoenix to Chicago drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted