1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should I Be Doing With My Newborn, Seriously

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Tummy time can and should start early -- our daughter had some neck issues and we started with it within the first couple of months. Buy one of those Boppy things.

As to the restaurant thing -- you just have to be smart as to the place (Friday's -- yes, Le Cirque -- no) and how long you let the kid cry for. We took our daughter out a lot when she was small. If she cried and a bottle didn't do the trick, one of us took her outside where she wouldn't bother anyone eating.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Have her teach you quadratic equations.

Seriously, though, I'd recommend that you just keep doing what you're doing now. Reading to her, especially if you enjoy reading, will most likely instill a love of reading in her. It did in my case. My parents took turns reading to me when I was a baby. However, my mother LOVES to read. She's a voracious reader, and I really think even young children can pick up on whether their parents enjoy doing something.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Buy a papasan chair if you haven't already. Kids love to sleep in it and it's a great way to make sure you can keep your eye on the child at all time...you move into the kitchen, kid goes with you without waking up. And the Boppy chair is also a great idea, we started feeding our kids in them at around 5 months.
    That said, my triplets are now 20-months old. Since last Monday, I have been on 16 airline flights.
    If my wife ever talks me into a trip with the kids before they turn 18, I am checking them.

4. There's good logic. Let her play with mercury and eat lead paint chips and spray her with asbestos and feed her raw meat and do whatever the hell you want because people have survived for thousands of years and obviously nothing we've learned has ever made any difference in the world.
    I had a kid within the past few years. I studied what the experts say, and they are almost all in agreement that it is a risk to have your kid in public before six weeks because of illness.
    But hey, I'm sure you know better than they do, right?
    By the way, I'm not saying the baby can't ever leave the house. I'm just saying stay away from crowds.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

Uh, I don't think taking the kid outside - which is what you said - out in public - can equate with eating paint chips etc.

and I don't know what "experts" on child-rearing you are reading, but based on that advice, I wouldn't listen to any of the rest

children are extremely resilient (barring extenuating medical situations).
    Whatever being you genuflect to designed em that way - and the more they are exposed to early in life, the stronger they become

keep your kid in a bubble and you'll create a neurotic

best advice I can give to new parents is don't change your life without knowing why.
    By that, I mean, don't stop going to restaurants just BECAUSE you have a kid. Give it a shot. If your kid screams and cries the entire time, then stop going or find a restaurant that likes that sort of thing

You'll probably find you can time it so the little darling sleeps through most of it

if you look for the signs, your baby will tell you what's cool and what isn't.

they really are amazing creatures.

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Use her to pick up chicks.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Little 93, a.k.a. Puddin, is now six weeks, and we do tummy time every evening before or after our dinner.

Right now she is trying to look forward and lift her head up, and every day she gets a little better. I kind of look at it as lifting weights. Every day you will become a little stronger. Tummy time usually is no longer than 10 minutes. It also helps to wear her down for bed.

We try to put Puddin down for sleep between 7-8 every night. We just want to start a sleep schedule for her.

We also have a stand-up mirror for her. She will look at herself while she is on her back, and it keeps her occupied. She is just starting to smile, and she is starting to notice the things on her Baby Einstein mat.

Try making faces or sticking out your tongue and see if she mimics you.

I just pray that the wife and I are doing all that we can for her and not screwing her up.

Oh, get the damn immunization shots. I watched the Today show this morning, and it shocks me that people are opting out of them. Kids are dieing because of this.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't smoke if she is in your car.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Actually, it's OK as long as you don't set it any higher than "thaw."

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Why did that make me laugh?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Solicit as much anonymous advice as possible via the Internet and follow it all consistently, even when it seems to conflict.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

God, my wife did WAY too much of that when she was pregnant. Drive me nuts.
    Me: Are they healthy? Are the tests coming back normal?
    Her: Yes.
    Me: Are you following what the doc says?
    Her: To the letter.
    Me: Do you feel ok?
    Her: Yes.
    Me: Ok, you lose all Internet privileges until the kids are born.

Draft saved Draft deleted