1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should I Be Doing With My Newborn, Seriously

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 24, 2008.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

Oh really? So what did they do for the thousands of years before that inane piece of advice was decreed.

2. SigR

SigR Member

This is bad advice. Babies have no business in restaurants, malls, or other places where their screaming/crying interrupts my enjoyment of an outing as an adult. It's selfish, rude, and does nothing for the kid. Don't ask the rest of the world to accomodate your decision to have a baby. It is your responsbility to accomodate the rest of the world.

--

Saving for college is a good idea, besides what you are already doing. And outings will be fine as long as you realize the potential nuisance that a baby can create.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And, we're off.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Talk to her.

Red, white and black colors.

Tummy time every day.

Play music -- the stuff you like to hear.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I've started an account for college already. Hell, I was ready to start that in the first trimester.

As for tummy time, what the hell is it? I hear about it all the time. But exactly should she - or I - be doing?

She sleeps and rests tummy down on my stomach/chest.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, newbie. You may notice I made a point twice of saying "to each their own." It's advice, and as a parent I feel like I'm qualified to at least offer it.

You may also notice I didn't say take the young tyke to Ruth's Chris. Applebee's is OK. I also don't advise taking them there in the middle of a screaming fit, or ignoring their screaming fit while pounding down a third order of riblets. If the child gets upset for 10 seconds, I'd bet money that the adjacent tables will understand. After 11 seconds, maybe you'll be in the 17-year-old hostess's ear screaming for a new table, right as one of the parents politely walks the child outside to calm him/her down.

And in case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of underage types at the mall that can be massively more annoying and intrusive than a newborn. Go tell them, or the parents that dropped them off, that they are imposing on your "adult outing." Please let me know how that goes.

7. You're a little bit aways from tummy time everyone's talking about.

That's probably 5-6 months (you'd be better off looking in the what to expect when you're expecting book) and all that is involves is putting the kid on its stomach for a short while a few times a day so it can learn to scoot itself across the floor and then crawl.

I know mine didn't like it at first, but once they start inching forward it's worth it ...

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Next time my 4-year-old decides to be a pain in the ass in a restaurant, I really hope SigR is nearby.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Take your kid wherever you want (within reason.) Somehow, I do not know how, adults who object forget that they were once babies and that they are sharing the planet with babies.

You're doing fine. But just cherish holding her, talking to her, touching her, comforting her, letting her know you are there and feeling her sense you there. Everyone says "it goes so fast" and it does. My boys are now 6 and 8 and I do long for those newborn days. Parenting is hard but the rewards are indescribable.

10. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Do everything you possibly can to spend as much time with her and also everything you can to remember these days, as everyone has said. My kids are 13 and 9 and I don't think I did enough of either.

Don't go for the baby talk goo-goo gah-gah crap. Use simple, real English w/correct grammar. The more they hear real English, the more likely they're gonna speak it when they finally have something to say.

Some may scoff at that but when my then-three-year-old son was asked by his pediatrician what he wanted to be when he grew up, he replied, "An entomologist. Actually, I'm an entomologist now."

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pete,

Sounds like you are doing great. Just keep spending time with her.

I loved rocking my kids to sleep and telling them stories at bedtime.

When they were really young, I would just talk and make up stories. When they got a little older it was simple picture books and before I knew it, it was 600 pages of Harry Potter.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Do not, repeat, do not stick her in the microwave at any time.

Draft saved Draft deleted