1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should I Be Doing With My Newborn, Seriously

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’m sure that I wrote about this upthread, but we were too wimpy to sleep train our oldest. She didn’t sleep through the night until she was 13 months old and I’m surprised that our marriage survived. After I was doing an arbitration in which I could barely keep my eyes open, we decided to sleep train her by letting her cry it out and not pick her up.

The first night (a Thursday) was a practice night where I was going to do it while Mrs. W slept and if it got too bad, I was to pick her up and we would try for real the next night. Our daughter wakes up once at 2 a.m., and I speak to her for about 20 minutes before she goes back to sleep. The next night — our first “real” night of sleep training, we steeled ourself for the worst. Turns out our daughter slept through the night and never once woke up in the middle of the night again other than because she was sick.

We were planning on being tough for our second, but he slept through the night at 8 weeks without any effort on our part.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn yo, you never got to experience the “joy” of Ferberizing!! Listening to our first (at about 6 mos) cry for 25 mins (start at 5, then 10, 15, etc) was the most heartbreaking thing I ever did.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We are wimpy in that way generally and my now (gulp) 14 year old had some issues as a newborn so we were totally disinclined. That being said, she was up every single night and we knew that she mostly just wanted to be held.

We were committed to being tougher with our son, but he was a big fat baby who ate/nursed and pretty much slept through the night right away.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My last one would sleep only in the (detached) car seat for the first 8-12 months.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Search function functioning again?

Tweener, cjericho and Vombatus like this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

My question too. The Information Age is amazing.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If you mean to say that’s how I revived this old thread, nope. I knew the name of the thread and it showed up via google.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Mrs. jlee didn’t know about breathable bumpers or Dr. Brown’s, so this thread has already paid for itself.

Scout likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Be sure to take apart the sippy cups or bottles every week or two because they can get pretty gross in the cracks.

jlee likes this.
  11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Don’t we all?

(Thanks.)

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My wife is a germophobe so that was done on the regular.
    Take each day as a learning experience, with this.
    And get in a cat nap whenever you possibly can.

jlee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted