1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should I Be Doing With My Newborn, Seriously

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

OK, so my daughter is one month old. As expected, she eats, sleeps, pees, poops and repeat.

Should I and Mrs. Incaviglia be doing anything with her to encourage mental or physical development? I mean, I constantly talk to her. But outside of that, she can't play.

I do read to her. Sing to her (badly). Rock her.

We weren't swaddling her for a while because I didn't think she wanted it. Plus, swaddling too long hinders the development of her legs.

But outside reading some books, talking to friends (and our shitty, shitty midwives) I haven't heard much else I could/should be doing.

Any advice, ideas that worked, etc?

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You might want to play Texas Hold-Em with her now. In a few months she'll probably be beating you.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's all one month old babies do. Don't fret.

We swaddled one of the twins because it calmed him down. The other twin and the eldest were fine for the most part without it.

Hold them, feed them, keep them warm and safe.

We had a tape deck (old days) in their room and played some nice quiet music from the time they were young

Other than that, teach her to skate.

Good luck and be thankful that she's healthy.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Music, primary colors, your voice, your face....at one month, their little brains are exploding with the basic sights and sounds. They can barely see further than the distance from the crook of your arm (where you hold her) to your eyes.

Too much at that age, you're going to have an overstimulated screamer.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To each their own, of course, but I'd simply suggest taking the newborn out. Everywhere. Don't think that because she's so little she can't tag along to the mall, to restaurants, you name it. It's damn fun soaking up the oohs and ahhs from everyone (that never gets old), but I also think there's something to be said for getting your little one introduced to the big, bad world as soon as possible (I have zero scientific evidence; again, to each their own). Even though, like 21 said, they can't see squat. But they'll take in the surroundings more than you'd think. Or of course they'll just keep sleeping, and that's fine too.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Start putting money away for college.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Flash cards. Educational tapes with a different foreign language each night. Expand that little mind!

Sorry. Had to do it. Seriously, it sounds like you are doing fine and the advice above is good stuff. Don't make yourself or the baby crazy trying to do too much.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Talking to her and paying attention to her is enough, and everything. Don't overdo things for the sake of "development." You'll end up mostly with nothing but a lighter wallet. I'm reminded of the episode of Cheers where Frasier shows off the highly educational toys for little baby Frederick, bragging that they will help stimulate the child and help him with his overall happiness. Norm responds (and this is from memory), "I bet they will! He's going to look at these and say, 'Great, my parents are loaded!'"

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You're doing fine, Pete.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Step one is to log off of sportsjournalists.com. Then follow the suggestions about just spending time with kid, and taking kid outside. And yeah, start saving for college.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

12. She is not supposed to be in public until she hits six weeks. That's when her immune system is built up enough to take it.
    Talk to her a lot. Play with her as much as she can handle. Bright colors are great.
    Outside of that, she'll give you signs when she is ready for more. It will happen sooner than you think.

Draft saved Draft deleted