1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What schools did you reject, or who rejected you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Went 3-for-3 in the early 2000s:

Florida State
    Florida
    Ohio State

Wanted to apply to Princeton and Cornell, but lacked the prerequisite number of foreign language credits.

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Hmm, I wonder what you wanted to study :)

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Applied to Texas, Minnesota, Colorado, Syracuse and a fifth. ;) 5-for-5. SATs were far too large a factor back then, and I had a good day.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Got into SJSU, San Diego State, Chico, ASU and CU-Boulder. Rejected by Cal and SLO.

Had a very tough decision between SJSU and CU, stayed in state with San Jo for a myriad of reasons.

I had a very awkward phone call with a student working the freshman orientation at Arizona State when she called to get me set up with a tour and other transition stuff. I thought my not turning in my final paperwork to the university was a hint l wasn't attending, but apparently not.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Only sent one application. Accepted, attended, graduated.

Not including the opportunity to learn the proper use of "myriad"?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I was barely 17 when I started college, so I stayed home and went to Middle Tennessee State.

I did have a aid package of some sort on the table from Point Park, in Pittsburgh. I'm damned if I recall how they got on my radar exactly, but it ultimately seemed too far away for me at that age.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

After spending two years at Coastal Carolina Community College in Jacksonville, NC, I applied to UNC, East Carolina, UNC-Wilmington and Alabama. Got accepted by all four, went to UNC.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot one. I was working on the UVa application, and Cville is about 25 miles from the homestead. Mom says, oh that would be great if you go to UVa, that way we could come up each weekend and go to church with you.

My immediate silent thought: FUCK THAT.

I never finished the application and let the deadline silently pass.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Applied to three, accepted by all three.

Chose Georgia Tech over Penn and Columbia, mostly for financial reasons. Got nice financial aid packages from the Ivies -- and it was still tons cheaper to go to Tech as an in-state student.

I thought about applying to Harvard -- then I saw the application and they wanted three essays. I thought, screw that, I'm a science guy. One essay I could fake my way through. Three just wasn't worth the trouble.

Tech, of course, required none.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I got rejection AND acceptance letters from Penn State within a span of seven days. (I'm glad I got the rejection letter first. I already had an acceptance letter from my eventual alma mater and I can't complain at all the way things worked out.)

11. PW2

PW2 Member

Applied to two, accepted at two. None of them in the same league as the schools being tossed around on this thread. You guys are smart.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I got into Cornell. Not going there is one of the biggest regrets of my life.

Draft saved Draft deleted