1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What salary would satisfy you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 27, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I can't believe how much getting married recently improved my financial outlook. I was making decent money but scrambling like many people to keep up. More than doubling the household income, plus the fact that my wife is way better with money than I am and makes me think about what I'm spending, makes a big difference.

We've made a plan where we can be totally out of debt in a year -- no car payments, no student loans, nothing. I can't wait to see what that feels like for the first time in my life.

2. Like EStreet Joe wrote, save for the mortgage on my house back in the states, which is less than 500 bucks a month, I am debt free.

3. Turbo

Turbo Guest

I always thought $1K for every year of my age. Never got there in newspaper. So I left the biz, and now I'm a lot happier financially. Actually, I'm a lot happier in general.

And, if you exclude the mortgage, I'm debt free.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Depends on the job, really. If it's a job I hate, no amount of money is going to be worth it.

If it's a job I love that pays me reasonably well AND the people there treat me well, I'm happy as a pig in shit.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It varies depending on where you live, but the OP's mark of $60K would do me just fine.

Of course, I don't plan on having a wife and/or kids to support, which helps keep my needs fairly low.

6. Before I was married, I didn't give a shit. Not. At. All. Couldn't imagine caring less about anything in the world. I had a studio apartment two blocks from my local tavern and work was a 10-minute drive.

I love my wife and wouldn't trade our life together for anything. But damn were those simple, fun days.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Right now, I'd be satisfied with $25-30K. That way I could pay off my car loan and have some extra spending money instead of having to live paycheck-to-paycheck.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

In an ideal world, I'd love to make $150K.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fixed.

10. rascalface

rascalface Member

Bottom line with debt and such ... if you're bad with money, chances are that making more money will only make it worse. As has been said here, the more you make, the more you spend.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Holy crap, you could do that on $25K? I need to move to Kentucky. I'd be like Midas.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

With no other bills besides cell phone and car insurance, yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted