1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What salary would satisfy you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Just started making $55K ... makes me greedy for more.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't stand job listings that ask for a salary history. Why do they need to know what I made three jobs ago?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Whatever they're paying at the Plain-Dealer.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

To see if your experience and production has warranted a pay increase from that point onward?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm in the low $40s. I'd like to make around 60K, enough to get out of debt and afford one of the cool condos.

6. So, just for the record, is there anybody who is not in debt?

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Screw that. If they ask how much you make now, never answer. Never say a number before they do, or you could cost yourself a fortune. Ask what the job you're applying for pays.

As to the question at hand, with my wife working also, If I could bring home $100K it would be a very comfortable place to be (I live in an expensive city). We could actually own a home and be able to fund our futures while still having some fun along the way.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I have been raised to know that the first person to mention salary usually loses in business. That is why I always ask to see what the job offers before offering a figure.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No, least not among those of us who remain unmarried.

10. I feel better.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No. If they want to know my experience and production, read my work and check my references. Don't judge me on salary history in a business that doesn't always reward experience/production properly. I'm not selling widgets; if I was you can judge me on my salaries and commissions.

Maybe a while back I took a small pay cut to go someplace where I felt strongly about doing better work and/or had personal reasons to move. Does a prospective employer see that in a salary history and then think they can lowball you again? Sorry, it's just not their business.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Me, but I'm in college.

Draft saved Draft deleted