1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What salary would satisfy you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 27, 2007.

1. I know that money is a touchy subject around these parts, as it probably is in most journalism circles. We tend to look down on people who make high salaries, with the idea that they've sold their soul for material wealth while we, in the meantime, are pursuing something noble and living within our means to compensate.

That being said ... wondering what everyone's idea of a comfortable, acceptable long-term salary would be (assuming a raise to keep pace with inflation every year - which, of course, you shouldn't assume in our current business)?

I'm looking to start a family soon, and my wife and I are constantly stressed about the low wages of this profession, and the lack of opportunities due to the current climate.

So I'm thinking ... at $60,000 a year, I would be happy as hell. I know I may get shouted down for throwing out such a high number, and proving how materialistic I am. But I would like to take a vacation without it breaking the bank. Or play a round of golf without it draining my spending money for the next two weeks. Or send my children to good schools debt-free if that's what they want to do.

Thoughts?

Or is everyone happy with where they're at? Am I shallow?

2. It depends. I'm fortunate not to have any car payments or student debt, so my current 40K seems like a fortune to me. So, I guess 40K is satisfying. (BTW, my wife works and makes an equal amount, so you have to factor that in as well.)

3. Wife and I both make around $40K, BTW. One car payment. Lengthy commutes (30-plus miles apiece).

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No one -- other than that disgustingly upbeat puppy person -- is happy with what they make. They always want more, more, more.

Personally, I'd be happy to make enough to get out of debt and stay out. Maybe hitting the lotto will do it.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Naturally, this all depends on where you live.

If I was in NYC, I'd say $1 million. Out in flyover country, I'd take my age multiplied by $12,500. When I was 30, I'd have been overjoyed at $37,500. When I'm 50, I'd be satisfied with $62,500.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm with Ace. As long as I can pull myself out of debt and stay out, while making a few more dollars, I'll be happy.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It would be nice to be wealthy so I could be sloth-like, but I'm not at that point -- yet.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

100 MILLION DOLLARS!{dr. evil}

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Beckham's.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Better check your math, Inky. 30 x $12,500 is $375,000.

I'd like $200 K a year (combined at about $85K right now). Enough to pay my bills, college savings plan for the kid, really fund retirement accounts, and have something left over for a few trips.

And that amount, of course, is a fantasy.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Methinks he meant $1,250.

Draft saved Draft deleted