1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What sacrifice would you be willing to make?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not that I don't read it, but most of what I read isn't nearly so slavishly agenda-driven.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to sacrifice this thread for the change under the couch cushions.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Such as...?

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . virtually everything else . . . and the WSJ's editorial pages, always Right, have gone even more so under Murdoch. They've become as laughable as National Review.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some of the most dangerous, least benefical drugs ever sniffed, snorted or injected are legal ones. It's all about marketing.

If pot was initially offered as a glaucoma cure by Big Pharma, no one would bat an eye at it.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

There isn't a single set of editorial pages in the world that isn't agenda-driven. That's what they are for. Next thing I know you'll be telling me Leonard Pitts is a middle-of-the-roader and Krugman is right of center...

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No paper tigers, please.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Means-testing for Social Security makes good sense.

In return for suggesting it, how about we get Tea Party retirees to voluntarily give back their Social Security checks as a protest against government spending?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Better to do a slow, slow drag upward on the age-eligibility levels . . . given current acutarial tables vis a vis those of the '30s, it's not unfair, and it won't take much. People who've paid their taxes into the system for decades don't deserve to be aced out of benefits, at this point.

Medicaid's the real sticky wicket, and that eventual extended debate will be the Texas Cage Death Match.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

agree on Social Security - maybe lower age eligibility on Medicare.
    Cutting drug sentencing sounds good - though I worry that freeing drug offenders might lead to increases in other crimes that are committed by people seeking drugs.
    There is a scene in "The Ides of March" where a mandatory national service commitment is floated - everyone is in favor of it, and the people who might not like it - those who will be effected by it - can't vote anyway.
    But what if everyone - who was deemed to have a useful skill and was somewhat capable - was "drafted" for two years of service, augmenting or reducing the reliance on civil service employees. Military, peace corps, teaching, IRS, construction, etc.

I'd also like to see the U.S. try and get some compensation from countries where we have a military presence. Instead, we usually pay those countries for the right to protect them.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Spnited had the best take on social security.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The space program.

Draft saved Draft deleted