1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What radio stations did you listen to growing up?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If it's an iPod Touch, it works via WiFi. You're probably zooming in and out of hot spots, which would explain why you're "losing" stations. If you're planning to use that in the car, download some songs or podcasts before you set out and just start one as you're pulling out of the driveway.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on Tune In Radio. I uninstalled iHeart and added Tune In on my Droid. I was underwhelmed by what iHeart had.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

As for the comment yo try the BBC, I don't get it where I am. And just because they have a British accent doesn't mean I'm going to trust them any more than anyone else.

WSB's reporters just seem genuine to me. Unlike most other sources of news.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My earliest radio memory was when I was around 7 years old visiting my grandmother in NYC.

I wasn't used to hearing the sounds of the city at night, so I couldn't sleep. My grandmother had this ancient radio, probably from the 1940s, that had a nice glowing light for the dial. My mother set it up for me near my bed and set the dial for (now that I've looked it up), WNBC, which had Wolfman Jack on.

I don't remember the music really, but I just remember thinking there was some guy wearing a wolf costume talking on the radio. Pretty silly, but that's how my 7-year-old mind worked. A couple other visits, my mom would set the radio up again, and I'd fall asleep listening to this Wolfman guy on the old radio with the nice yellow light.

Unfortunatly, when my grandmother died, my aunt got the radio. I would have liked to have my mom keep it.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Listened mostly to HFS, DC 101 and 98 Rock out of Baltimore ... Went to three HFStivals at RFK Stadium. Violent Femmes played one of them and killed. So did, surprisingly, No Doubt.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Growing up in a small oil town on the windswept plains had its advantages and disadvantages where it came to radio in the 60s. The disadvantage was that there wasn't much of a Top-40 station in our area during the day, but at night, man, it was a smorgasbord.

KOMA out Oklahoma City was probably the closest to where I lived, but we could also pick up WLS out of Chicago and, of course, the "outlaw X," XROK out of Juarez, Mexico. Then, after 11 o'clock, we always tuned in Beecker Street on KAAY out of Little Rock. That was a 3-hour program of "underground" rock on AM that was truly hip. Anyone who grew up in that period who lived anywhere from Minnesota to Florida probably remembers Beecker Street.

When I moved back to Mississippi in the early 70s, WTIX out of New Orleans was still the big Top 40 station, but by then, the station of choice was WZZQ-FM in Jackson, which was classic rock before classic rock was a real genre.

Now, I have XM on my car radio and I hardly ever listen to the local stations, unless it's for a ball game I'm interested in. Some of the XM presets I have saved include the 60s on 6, Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind, Lithium, Grateful Dead Channel, Little Steven's Underground Garage and Bluesville.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One of the biggest thrills of my life was playing golf in Florida with a guy named Gary. I asked him what he did for a living. "I'm a radio host." I thought his voice sounded familiar all day, then it hit me..."YOU'RE GARY BURBANK!" I grew up loving WLW (listening from afar in Atlanta and when going to Cincy to visit family) and this was like meeting Elvis. We played golf many more times and still keep in touch by email, years later.

As for Atlanta, I couldn't believe 96 Rock was no more when I drove through town a while back. They were a powerhouse in my youth. Z-93 was another biggie, the general manager of the station lived down the street and had three sons, all of whom slept in waterbeds. Back then I always associated having waterbeds with being billionaires.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I grew up on LIR, too. Our lives revolved around that radio station. Hanging out at OBI in the summer. You didn't grow up in the middle of Nassau County if you didn't know Malibu Sue.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Des Moines' 95- KGGO" was the rock station when I was in high school (now it's classic rock). Had a pretty good stable of DJs back then.

The station was located in an unincorporated area called Berwick and back in the mid-80s they started a running joke about the football program at "Berwick University" to the point that they broadcast the team's games against the University of Okoboji (Members Iowa SportsJournalists.com will remember U of O) and the Maharishi Institute Levitators (MI actually IS a real school in Fairfield, Iowa). Doesn't sound funny now but it was at the time.

On the AM side we listened to WMT out of Cedar Rapids with Ron Gonder calling Iowa football and hoops instead of Jim Zabel on in-town WHO. This was back in the day when there were three separate radio networks in the state the carried Hawkeye games (WMT, WHO and a station out of Davenport, can't remember the call letters, with Bob Brooks).

One of the DM AM stations (KRNT or KIOA, not sure) was part of the Cubs radio network so we got to hear Jack, Lou & Vince call Cub games and another station picked up Denny Matthews calling the Royals out of KC.

Whenever we would visit Chicago I would make my dad leave the radio on WGN on the way out of town so I could lay in down in the back of the station wagon and listen to The Sportswriters until we lost the signal. Good times.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We couldn't pick up WLW where we were at, for some reason, but we could pick up WHAS in Louisville pretty well. Listened to the late innings of a ton of Reds games that way as a kid.

I wish I could remember all the stations on which I used to find ballgames. I know I found KMOX quite a few times for the Cardinals, which always amazed me. I seem to recall listening to parts of some Orioles and maybe even Phillies games, too, all the way down in Georgia. Not sure if I ever picked up any Florida stations for the Devil Rays, but I wasn't trying too hard for those, of course.

And while I have very fond memories of picking up late-night ballgames over the air like that, I'll never be an old fogey and say things aren't 162x better today -- listening to any game I want, every day. That was fun, sure, but the whole point was to try to get exactly what we have now. I appreciate MLB Gameday Radio much more now because I had those experiences, though.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a kid growing up in the DMV, I listened to what was then known as Q107. It was a Top-40 station. When I moved to Maine for my junior year of high school, I listened to G98, again, another Top-40 station.

I'd come back to Maine for my senior year of high school. On one weekend before school began, G98 was playing some song I hated, so I started station surfing. I then came upon a Fleetwood Mac song. Then another. Then another. The local classic rock station had a Fleetwood Mac weekend. That turned me onto classic rock pretty much for good.

When I moved back down to the DMV, I latched onto what had by then become Mix 107.3, largely because of the Jack Diamond Show. However, nowadays, I listen to more classic rock and WTOP (news radio).

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I grew up in Wisconsin but I listened primarily to Chicago radio. Late Sunday afternoons with The Sports Writers, Chicago Eddie Schwartz at night, when I was in college Steve and Gary, for my money the best "shock jock" radio ever and of course Milt Rosenberg.

Milt is still going strong, though his time slot has recently changed. Every screaming partisan idiot on TV and radio should be forced to listen to Milt Rosenberg and learn how special the radio can be. For those of you not familiar with his work I would suggest you visit his site. There are years of shows archived and they are well worth the time to listen.

http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/ext720/

Draft saved Draft deleted