1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What podcasts do you listen to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 14, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I tried a Simmons podcast a couple months ago.

He actually used a Karate Kid reference (it may have been some other 1980's hackneyed movie reference). I thought, "Really? That's not just a cliche I always hear about him?"

Terrible voice, and... well, I won't be downloading that podcast again.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Even if Simmons had something interesting or insightful to say, I still couldn't listen because of his voice.

3. trademark

trademark New Member

Bumping this thread because I really enjoyed many of the recommendations, especially Hardcore History and the Kevin Pollak Chat Show.

Oh, and also to brag that I got my very first Larry King Game submission onto the KPCS. Hearing Pollak read my joke (and laugh) was about the coolest thing that has ever happened to me. The best part was I didn't know it was coming, at all. Absolutely surreal moment.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Which episode was it on? The newest one?

5. trademark

trademark New Member

Think so, yeah. #46, with the two actors I'd never heard of. Only watched it late Friday night because no one emailed saying they used my line, so I finally checked it out just to see what HAD gotten on (to critique, you know? "Meh, mine was better," or "Okay, that one was pretty good.").

So Pollak says my name (well, pseudonym) and I paused the video. "Wait, what?" Paced around for a minute deciding that I must have misheard or something. Restarted the video, and he said it again. "Oh, this is really happening? Wow!" I guess what I'm saying is I was waay more excited than I should have been to have made him say--hopefully for the first time in his life--"fecal pellets."

So, yeah, I'm a dork, but it was a cool moment. And I'll bet I'm right about Larry King.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll throw another plug in here for Now Playing. Each podcast is an hourlong breakdown of one film.
    Of course, it's mostly old horror franchises (Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Saw) but they've also done other non-horror films. It's good stuff.
    The Breaking Bad Insider is also interesting if you're into the "how'd they do that?" theme. Most of the podcast centers on what they went through shooting, how the actors decided to play a particular scene, how they set something up from a production standpoint, etc., rather than an interpretation of that week's episode.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

-Kornheiser
    -Tony Bruno's "Into the Night"
    -Czabe and Pollin on "The Sports Reporters"
    -Bob Edwards (formerly of NPR)
    -Galloway and Co.
    -WNYC's "Radio Lab"

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Curious if people have found others that they like...

These are the ones I'm listening to.

Never miss them:
    Adam Carolla Show
    WTF with Marc Maron
    Fitzdog Radio
    Nerdist
    Bryan Callen Show
    Bill Maher (audio from Real Time)
    60 Minutes

Usually listen
    Joe Rogan Experience - Shows are frequently close to three hours, so even listening to them in double time, I skip some of them.
    Bill Simmons
    Kevin Pollack Chat Show
    You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes

Sometimes
    Penn's Sunday School
    I like Kevin Smith's Smodcast, but they are much, much better when he has a guest.

I listen to a few parenting and health podcasts as well, but none regularly.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The only ones I listen to on any kind of a regular basis are Simmons, Savage Love and "Up and In" from Baseball Prospectus.

It can't be said enough - RIP Daves of Thunder.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's now on Carolla's show every Monday.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Johnny Cash Radio, comes out once a week on Weds.

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I really like "Baseball Today" on ESPN, especially when Keith Law is on. I like sabermetrics, so I'm fascinated by the intellectual views of baseball and the divide in front offices. I like the scouting and snark as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted