1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What podcasts do you listen to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 14, 2010.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So, here's a podcast question maybe someone here can help me with.

I'm looking for two types of podcasts and haven't really found anything that works for me. The first is a movie discussion type podcast. Not necessarily movie news, per se, but maybe film interpretations/discussions? Second, I could really use a good comedy podcast. I've listened to Carolla for a bit and while I think his home runs are way out of the park, a lot of his stuff is just a base hit to me.

Oh, and as for the original question, I like to listen to the Bill Maher Show since I don't have HBO, subscribe to two different Pro Wrestling podcasts (Pro Wrestling Report and Pro Wrestling Torch) and occasionally listen to Around the Horn, PTI and Countdown with Keith Olberman if I miss an episode and know they're discussing something I want to here talked about.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Filmspotting is pretty good.

WTF with Marc Maron has mostly comedians talking shop. Not so much "knock knock, who's there?" stuff, just discussing life as a comedian.

Comedy Death Ray is hosted by Scott Auckerman, a former writer for Mr. Show. It features comedians, but sometimes they appear as characters and not as themselves. It's hit or miss with me.

Kevin Pollak has had a lot of comedians on his show as well.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The problem with Maron's show is that the guy is so completely fucked up that listening to him can sometimes be very exhausting.

I worship Carolla, but the show has been lacking the last month or so, the guests have been really lacking.

The Nerdist is really funny and has had Joel McHale, Carolla, Andy Richter among its first guests.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Maron could definitely be considered an angry comic. It's refreshing when he's in a good mood on his podcast.

Really the guests fuel all the shows. Jim Gaffigan, Hardwick, Nick Kroll are really good guests.

I've pretty much given up on Carolla because he talks more than the guests. Kevin Smith's podcast is wearing thin with me too. There's only so many cocksuck jokes I can hear before I get bored.

5. Slate has a Spoiler Podcast where they talk about current movies for people who have already seen them, going back a couple years. I wish there were even more of them on the list, but the selection is still pretty good.

In fact, all the Slate podcasts are good. And long, too, usually 40-50 minutes. I stopped listening to the political one for a while, because it was all health care, all the time and I was burned out on that story, but it was interesting again this week with the Virginia governor/confederate week thing, Net neutrality and a third topic that slips my mind.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Love the Simmons podcast, when I have a chance to listen at work. I skip the ones where he's just BSing with his buddies about the Yanks-Sox, but the others are usually solid.

Carolla's is good, too. I mostly listen to the local morning sports guys.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Kornheiser
    The History of Rome. This is incredible, I'm 100 episodes in and he's just getting to the 3rd century AD. So far 800 years of Roman history and this is amazing. Early episodes are 20 minutes or so, later episodes can be 30-40 minutes. Podcasts come out once a week.
    The Deadpod every week a set from a Grateful Dead Concert. Average of about 1 1/2 hours. Has concerts from the 60's-70's-80's. Heard of few shows that I was present for, but clearly do not remember.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Smith's podcast is very tough to get through at times.

I don't mind Carolla talking too much because I find him more interesting than most of his guests and his rants crack me up.

9. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I've gotten out of the habit, but for a while I was a loyal listener of ESPN Radio's daily best-of podcast, Baseball Today and To the Best of Our Knowledge

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The JackO ones are just about the only ones I can stomach now. Listen to any others and prepare to get hit over the head with several renditions of "That's the line? No way. That surprises me. I am smarter than Vegas," with Mike Lombardi, Cousin Sal and Chad Millman.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I subscribe to everything by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Fry. I also get a lot of the Ted.com stuff.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Had never listened to a podcast until I came upon this thread. Listened to Baseball Today and PTI on the commute yesterday, a nice change of pace from the usual racket that comes out of my iPod.

Draft saved Draft deleted