1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What podcasts do you listen to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sepinwall has a new podcast and it is finally on iTunes. I like him a lot, but he and his new partner don't have a lot of chemistry yet.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I really miss Firewall and Iceberg.

Webster likes this.
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Evidently I'm the only one here who liked S-Town...I guess the main character was compelling enough for me. The sixth episode, where they talked to the Olin guy, was the one that really stood out to me. Following that up with all the weird revelations in the finale (the church stuff) worked for me and really made it stand out.

Might have helped that I basically went through all of it in the car today. Might not have held my interest as well hour by hour. I was more into this than either season of Serial.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ultimately I liked, but didn't love, S-Town. I found Serial season one to be more gripping, even if I found Koenig to be a bit too in the bag for the defendant. I think part of the problem I had with S-Town was one of optics, in that they did a bit of a bait-and-switch, making it seem like another Serial S1 when it was really more of a character and environment study. It also feels like the reporter, Reed, did a lot of exhaustive work on this, and they decided to let it rip for seven episodes, instead of going for three to five concise episodes.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. Big Circus

See, I first heard about it in an article where they ruined the twist that the murder never happened (and said that it turned into more of a character study) so I never had that feeling of being lied to. (This is the article: S-Town threads listeners through Alabama wilderness and the mind of a genius)

I also thought they did a really good job with the cliffhangers - every episode ended with an outstanding question that kept me listening. It was well paced.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Big Circus likes this.
  7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm not reading through the whole thread so I can avoid spoilers, but a friend just recommended S-Town. I listened to the first episode two nights ago when I went running...alone...in the dark. Not my wisest move, but I enjoyed the show. Will listen again. 10/10

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

!!!!!!!!!

Big Circus and sgreenwell like this.
  9. sgreenwell

Never thought I'd get to use my Feenster's Union card again! The return of Dr. Mustard and the football pillow to the airways.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lights Camera Barstool
    Pod Save America
    NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour
    The Daily
    New Yorker Radio Hour
    Politico Nerdcast

11. Big Circus

One Get Out of Jerk Free card for lcjjdnh for bringing this to my attention!

sgreenwell and lcjjdnh like this.
  12. sgreenwell

I'm just excited there are two other DoT fans on this board! I might have to close the door to my office.

Draft saved Draft deleted