1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What podcasts do you listen to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I listen on my commute (which is pretty long) and when working out. Maybe if there is something interesting and I'm not busy at work, I will put something on in the background.

2. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

I listen to it when I write, work out, when I go for a run, or when I'm driving.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Feeney will be in Studio 66 soon, according the this week's DDFP!!!!! I hope he brings along some Jacuzzi Thoughts from Pete.

4. Webster

Anyone listen to Missing Richard Simmons? 3 episodes in and it is pretty interesting.

Dyno and YankeeFan like this.
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't give any shits about Simmons, but I started listening because the show was so well reviewed. First two eps were pretty interesting.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Started listening to Pat McAfee's. Really good. They're long - well over 2 hours - but his interviews with former teammates and NFLers are pretty strong. Plus, one of his cohosts is a former cop and in two episodes told two tremendous undercover cop stories.

I listen to Pardon My Take, which I hated at first but have since started to enjoy. Barstool's Podfathers is entertaining for anyone with young kids (not for kids to listen to, BTW). Deitsch gets a download now and then.

Right now I'm looking for a PG-rated
    Podcast I. An listen to in the car when I'm with the kids, but one doesn't seem to exist.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

1. The Lowe Post
    2. CBS Eye on College Basketball With Gary Parrish
    3. Slate Money

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Big fan of Effectively Wild, the (now a couple times a week) baseball podcast from Fangraphs (originally from Baseball Prospectus). Doing a series of team previews right now, which is a great way to prep for the season.

Also enjoy being a Men in Blazers GFOP. Yeah, the guys can be very campy, but they've helped me understand soccer in a more fun way.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Blazers episode with the Iceland coach was tremendous.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Crimetown - I'm enjoying it but I feel like it's gotten bogged down. They also took a long break and I kind of forgot what happened in the first episodes.
    West Wing Weekly - I really like this, but the episodes are a tad long for my taste.
    You Must Remember This - Thanks to host/creator Karina Longworth's difficulty in pronouncing the double t sound (as in "written"), I now know what a glottal stop is. Otherwise, I find it fascinating.
    The Vertical Podcast with Woj
    Missing Richard Simmons

Webster likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

In my rotation right now (I have a two-hour commute);
    Missing Richard Simmons - It almost feels dirty listening to this and it's clearly taken notes on how to frame a story from Serial (same beats and same devices) that makes it feel contrived, but it's like a tabloid magazine you want to pick up in the checkout line.
    Celebration Rock - Steve Hyden essentially chronicles the death of traditional rock and roll in real-time.
    This Week in Atrocity/Polidicks - I find Jeb Lund's political thoughts make me examine everything from a different perspective.
    Dead Pilots Society - They read scripts for TV pilots that never made it to television. The John Hodgman episode for Single Child, an old FX pilot, is great.
    Kurt Vonneguys - They pick a book or short story by Kurt Vonnegut and do an exhaustive breakdown. It's nerdy as hell but really fun.
    Mortified - My wife loves this one and it's one we can listen to together.
    I Don't Even Own a Television - Takedowns of terrible books. The ones on Dan Brown's books are tremendous. If How Did This Get Made? was narrated by a guy who sounds like Dave Foley and used books instead of movies.
    Lowe Post - He's just the best at what he does.
    Dumb People Town - The Sklars are annoying, but the stories are funny and they get good guests. My wife also really likes this one for trips together in the car.
    Jonah Keri - I wish he talked more baseball, but you can't dislike a disarming Canadian, can you?
    Effectively Wild - I wish they'd talked a little less baseball, but you can't dislike two disarming nerds, can you?
    Shutdown Fullcast - It's a hot mess and Hall and Nanni are half as clever as they think they are, but they're still really clever.
    Will Leitch Experience - You know how sometimes you just enjoy a bowl of plain old oatmeal, without any frills? Will Leitch is that oatmeal.
    LeBatard - He's turned the sports radio schtick on its head and it's great. He'll peter out eventually, but for now it's a fun four hours every day.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  12. Webster

I was an early adopter to the Men In Blazers -- I now run hot and cold on them depending on my mood. Rog gets on my nerves at times. The interview specials

Of my regular listens, it's Kornheiser, Lowe Post, Hang Up and Listen, Football Weekly, West Wing Weekly, Whistlestop and Slate's Political Gabfest. Among those which I download, but don't always listen to are MiB, PTI, The Daily from the NYT, The Gist, Simmons, Planet Futbol and 538.

Draft saved Draft deleted