1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What players active in 2010 are already worthy of your personal HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 17, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

And in 1987, we would have been saying Doc Gooden, Vince Coleman, Bret Saberhagen and Darryl Strawberry were possible HOFers. That would have proven foolish. Point is as good as the aforementioned 20-somethings have been so far, it is WAY too early to even think about them and Cooperstown. Too much can go wrong. Way, way too early. At least wait until they're 30, a la Teixeira.

As for Cliff Lee, sorry, but he's got to hit his 40s as a dominant pitcher to even be in the discussion. He was a fringe guy through his 20s. Eight 18-win seasons (on average) and some postseason brilliance would not make up for that.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Jamie Moyer

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

With the 20-somethings, I think of it like the college football awards. At the beginning of the year, you have 100 guys that are "Heisman candidates" or on a "watch list" for some award. Basically, they're just guys to keep an eye on. By midseason (or age 30, with baseball players), their performance will either further their case or dismiss them from the discussion.
    Lincecum could blow his arm out in his next start and five years from now we'll be asking what ever happened to that guy? Or he could put up a few more 15-20 win seasons, pick up another Cy Young, and five years from now he'll be on the fast track to Cooperstown.
    There's no harm in mentioning young studs with a chance, if they continue to be studs.

With Lee, there will be plenty of debate when his time comes. He's only got 102 wins but is clearly trending upward. He's not a big strikeout guy (185 this year was a career high). But if he gets, say, two more Cy Youngs and takes three teams to the World Series he's going to be hard to ignore. I don't know if he gets in for sure at that point, but it'll be a fun debate.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Here's Cliff Lee's most similar pitchers, according to baseball reference.

1. Denny Neagle
    2. Schoolboy Rowe
    3. Chris Carpenter
    4. John Burkett
    5. Kirk Rueter
    6. Tom Browning
    7. Charles Nagy
    8. Mike Flanagan
    9. Teddy Higuera
    10. LaMarr Hoyt

Like BYH said, the guy needs to go about 25-2 every year for the rest of his career to even sniff it.

I mean, he was probably below average before his 22-3 breakout year with the Indians. And wasn't he sent back to Triple-A the season after that breakout? (I can't remember for sure. I may be thinking of Fausto Carmona on that last point).

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still can't believe Teddy Higuera isn't in Cooperstown.

6. Mizzougrad96

Schilling should be a lock based on his postseason performance.

Pettitte may have the most wins in postseason history, which is an impressive stat, but you can't compare that to guys like Whitey Ford, who never had the chance to make half as many starts as Pettitte. That's not Pettitte's fault, but it puts the record into perspective.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ford in the World Series = 22 starts, 10-8, 2.74 ERA
    Pettitte in World Series = 13 starts, 5-4, 4.06 ERA

8. Mizzougrad96

That's the comparison that matters.

That's not taking anything away from Pettitte, but all this talk about him being the best postseason pitcher ever is just absurd.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

He's one of the best post-season pitchers since the advent of he wild card.
    World Series records and performances are a total different issue.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Andy P will be a second-ballot HOF thanks to the Yankee effect.

11. Mizzougrad96

If that happens, I will NEVER, EVER again roll my eyes when someone says the media has a ridiculous bias in favor of East Coast players.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no Yankees effect or New York bias involved in the Hall of Fame voting. If there was, Don Martingly would be in. There is only the anti-New York whining of people like TigerVols.

Andy Pettitte will NOT make the Hall of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted