1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Pandora "Radio Stations" Do You Listen To?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 13, 2011.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

What? OK, tell me it plays his stirring rendition of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

I've tried Pandora, but I tend to use Jango a little more often. Same basic idea. Jango probably doesn't have quite as wide a selection as Pandora, but Jango is more flexible. It doesn't put a limit on how many times you can skip songs.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good lord, I put in an Arcade Fire station today.

Tremendous mix -- The Decemberists, Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Iron & Wine, The Flaming Lips, Phoenix, Mumford & Sons, Andrew Bird, Modest Mouse, Florence & The Machine ... love it.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Jango still isn't charging. Yes, one has to endure the occasionally really bad artist trying to break through on the site, but the ability to skip tracks without limits is a nice advantage over Pandora.

Pandora will dig a little deeper and occasionally find some deep album cuts, plus it does a little better job in various genres.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I go the Shoegazer channel when I'm working, and get great stuff - Cure, Catherine Wheel, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Lush and good obscure British bands.
    I have a faves channel into which I punched in a bunch of artists: Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, Pixies, Lone Justice, Arcade Fire, New Order and several others. I get some nice four-song blocks: 60s garage rock. alt-country, Brit synth pop, etc.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pandora getting ready to go public:

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So nobody bothered to point out that Boom is a closet redneck?

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If they're willing to give me more than 40 hours a month of free listening, I approve of this move.

My go-to stations: Arcade Fire, Explosions in the Sky, Band of Horses, Toro y Moi and Zero 7

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I figured you for the Hoff.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Anyhoo, I have found wild variance among channels. The Elvis Costello channel plays about two-thirds Costello, including deep cuts. The Beatles channel has half Beatles at most, and a lot of repeats (and what in the hell was a Kansas song doing appearing on it?) Shooting Star channel has a lot of good arena rock on it. Pixies channel has good stuff on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted