1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Pandora "Radio Stations" Do You Listen To?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Keith Richards Radio.

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Try Top 100's app. You can select a year and it'll randomly play a list of the top 100 songs of that year.

I listen to Pandora more, though.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You can look at the channels and see that there's no country one, but you can search for artists and come up with most anything you're looking for. My listening habits don't really run to shuffle. I'm more likely to search a band and just hit play all and I'll get 200 songs from that band. (Currently, Cake is my fave).

They have a premium pay service, but I have no idea what's on there. You can set up a login and create and save playlists for free. The thing that really frustrated me with Pandora was I kept running into a constant stream of cover bands. When I want to hear Sweet Home Alabama, I expect it to be Lynnyrd Skynnyrd, you know?

If you want a random selection, just hit one of the genre buttons.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not sure why I haven't gotten into Pandora until the last couple of days. I usually just play Sirius XMU on my Dish while I'm working at home ... plugged in The Hold Steady yesterday and got a great mix of Wilco, My Morning Jacket, several Hold Steady songs (including some live sets), The Strokes and some collaboration named Golden Smog that I'd never heard of, but apparently included Jeff Tweedy. Somewhat irritated there was no Lifter Puller, though.

In a chill mood this afternoon, so I plugged a Van Morrison station ... Rolling Stones, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, The Band, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, Counting Crows, Crosby Stills Nash & Young so far. Love it.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was messing around with Pandora the other day, and typed in "William Shatner," and I'll be damned, it created a William Shatner playlist for me.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Golden Smog is Tweedy and, I believe, a couple of the Jayhawks, among the group. The album "Down by the Old Mainstream" is great. You may have heard Tweedy play "Pecan Pie." That's one of the tracks on the album.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Black 47, Pogues, Waterboys all great stuff. Of course, I listen to the Springsteen channel but I also like the James Taylor channel, which gives you a lot of nice mellow music to drown out the loud asshats at work.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Common ground. Check out Seven Nations & Great Big Sea.

Black 47 used to play at a bar on 2nd Ave. twice a week. Used to go see them all the time. I still see them when they hit Chicago.

A lot of their stuff became very anti-Iraq war and got on my nerves, but that's probably a plus for you.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Definitely.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

The Band is my favorite channel, but I also have a Joe Ely that I like.

The Band channel gets me lots of obscure Dylan, as you would expect, but also a lot of contemporary bands like The Felice Brothers. Sadly, it also includes M. Ward, whom I do not care for.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I love Joe Ely.

I've seen him a couple of times with Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, and Guy Clark.

Since then, I've seen him in very small venues just solo on acoustic guitar, in a due with Joel Guzman on accordion, and with the Flatlanders.

In every combination, he puts on a great show.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Agreed. Actually got him to autograph a CD when he was here in Philly a few years ago. Very nice middle aged woman was manning the CD sales booth; turned out to be Joe's wife.

Draft saved Draft deleted