1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Pandora "Radio Stations" Do You Listen To?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 13, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I tried Pandora and found it frustrating, because I was searching for a particular artist and got a whole lot of other stuff. I like Grooveshark much better.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is what I'm talking about. When you pick that one artist you like and they program a perfect mix of songs for you.

I get what you're saying, but it's also part of the charm. And, why it's nice to know what stations are "better' than others.

Some frustrate me because they play songs that I wouldn't associate as similar to the artist I picked.

If you want to here a particular band, I've found it's better when the artist has performed solo and in a band.

You can put in the Beetles and you'll also get John Lennon and paul McCartney solo stuff, so it kind of maximizes it.

Same thing with the Dead. You'll also get Jerry Garcia solo stuff, which can be just as good.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Thanks, just got to Grooveshark from you, it seems great, anything I need to know in terms of how it works? What frustrates me about Pandora is that eventually it kind of freezes - giving you the same group of songs for the station, and when you put them on snooze, there's a limit to how many songs you can skip in a sitting. Still, for a free program, Pandora has given me far more than my money's worth - great website.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Love Pandora "Southern Rock" station.

For background in office so clients don't think I am a closet red neck I listen to John Williams classic guitar channel.

Has anyone bought the $36 dollar subscription? Wondering what more you get.

5. YankeeFan

What's the Southern Rock station?

I thought you had to enter an artist or a song. Can you also just enter a genre?

6. Boom_70

Yes - you can enter genre also

PS - liked Nick Drake station till that terrorist Cat Stevens showed up.

7. YankeeFan

I fucking love Cat Steven's music. One of my absolute favorites.

I try to separate the person he is from the person he was.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Rush, Metallica and Springsteen channels pretty much cover all my bases for prog rock, metal and straight rock and roll. Interestingly, the Stones and Zeppelin get played on all three.

What did I miss here?

Thought he was just a normal dude who converted to Islam a couple of decades ago. Always got a kick out of his name - Yusuf Islam, which is basically "Joe Muslim". Showed he didn't really have an adviser, and discovered his path on his own.

What has he done that forces you to separate Joe Muslim from the dude who gave us some nice 70s tunes?

9. YankeeFan

He spoke out in favor of the "Fatwa" on Padma's ex.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_comments_about_Salman_Rushdie

Considering the issues he had getting in and out of the states a few years ago, and the accusations in British tabloids regarding his support of terrorism (resulting in a nice cash settlement for Yusuf), that's small potatoes.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Besides, Kramer saw him in the store, anyway. SAL BASS?

12. Boom_70

when he converted he made some fairly unfavorable statements about the USA.

Draft saved Draft deleted