1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What other fields do our skills translate to?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JN7281994, Feb 28, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What kind of job was it also?
    SpritedDebate, you need to give a little more detail please.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

usajobs.gov
    higheredjobs.com (iirc)
    your state’s website for government jobs

Years ago, I was offered a clerical position job in state government when I was in between newspaper jobs. (I’d quit my first job out of college because I hated it so much.) My score was high on the typing tests, etc. The pay was about equal with the next journalism job I took. Looking back, kinda wish I’d taken it. I’d already have more than 10 years in and probably been promoted at some point.

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I get paid $4.15 more hourly in the role I'm currently at than I got as a sports writer (and did NOT get a raise the final 6 years at the paper). Plus, I made more than $4,000 last year freelancing.

So, in the 2-1/2 years since I was fired, I've made way more money (and get 90 percent of all weekends off). My paper had already stopped 401K (which I now get) and I have great medical benefits (I've been a Type-I diabetic for 16 years).

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was perusing LinkedIn and saw there's an opening for a copy editor at Grindr. Could be fun for someone.

5. ChickenDinner

ChickenDinner New Member

journalists can aim higher than data entry. making more than you did as a reporter is a given, right, unless you settle for fast food?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Given the chance to do it over again, I would be a ski bum and seasonal mountain guide and try to bang out a novel or presidential biography in my spare time.

I do all right and I even enjoy my work some of the time, mostly when I'm writing.

But desks suck.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Data entry can also involve some analytical skills, too.

I think journalists in general are good at life hacking. Every one of my jobs outside the business, I’ve always tried to figure out how to do it better and/or more efficiently.

Draft saved Draft deleted