1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What one NCAA basketball beat reporter should I follow this season?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newinthefield, Nov 6, 2011.

1. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

I know a bad notebook/reporting when I see it, so if I find what you are saying to be true, I'd stop following along.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She hates Tipton, and probably has good reason to. She's entitled to her opinion.

If you have to cover hoops year round for readers as hoops crazed as they are in that state, nobody does it better. The readers love him or love to hate him.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

J. Brady McCullough is an up-and-coming (maybe he's already here) star in this business.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Best college football writer out there.

5. Kevin Brockway -- Gainesville Sun. Tipton too.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I always wonder if I missed the boat on Dufresne. He has that one sentence per paragraph style that just drives me nuts, and his analysis is always so shallow. I try to read him regularly just to see if I can figure out why people love him so much. His stories always just seem like weak attempts at pithy one-liners. For instance: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1107-dufresne-bcs-20111107,0,5139435,full.column

I read a lot of writers out there in the ether. I'm not sure how Dufresne is better than Pat Forde or Dan Wetzel or Ivan Maisel or Matt Hayes or Lars Anderson or Austin Murphy or Dennis Dodd or Bruce Feldman or Pete Thamel or Teddy Greenspan or Chuck Carlton or Chip Brown or Spencer Hall or ... should I go on? I check the LA Times website almost daily. I really don't think I've ever been impressed by Dufresne, but I really want to get it. So please, if someone could clarify why he's a must-read, preferably with at least one example...

7. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have bookmarked all the guys mentioned so far, and I will see what happens.

Appreciate it.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I was going to say that even though UConn won't be as good this year, Gavin Keefe of The Day of New London is a real workhorse.

But they just went behind a paywall.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I've been reading Dufresne for many, many years and I've never seen that written about him. I feel he's super-plugged in, knows a lot of the intricacies of the sport, especially the politics of the BCS and all its bullshit, and his analysis is usually very spot-on. It's certainly not shallow by any means. Plus, I find him to be a highly entertaining writer. Not to say the others aren't.

And perhaps there's a built-in bias because of my SoCal connections and having read him for many years, but to me, the Rankman is one of the top five college football writers in the country, if not the best one. To me. Doesn't mean he is to you and you're entitled to your opinion.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Like I said, I've heard all of those praises. But I don't see it. Nothing he writes sticks with me ever. I have never once read anything by Dufresne that was new or interesting. Read that column, his latest, and tell me your impressed. Or just find me an interesting and original thing he's written. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I've never read anything worthwhile by him, and I've been looking for some time on a fairly consistent basis.

Then again, I also think Plaschke is mostly a hack these days and Simers' bullying wears thin. However, both can be brilliant on occasion. I can't say that about Dufresne. I've never felt strongly in any way about anything he's written on any subject.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

IIRC, he's added college hoops to the mix as well. But agreed on football.

Draft saved Draft deleted