1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What not to do in a thunderstorm

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 28, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey, she could use a timer...

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think Lee Corso would pick the former.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just saw a Mythbusters this morning in which they fried a dummy in both circumstances, using much less voltage than a lightning strike. Was pretty interesting because I always thought that was bullshit.

4. pa writer

pa writer Member

Thunder and lightning make me nervous, so that's when I put on my homemade tin foil helmet and sit under the tallest tree I can find to meditate.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Play a round of golf. I'd hate to miss a good putt and yell, "RAT FART!!"

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I love watching a thunderstorm develop, but I hate being stuck outside when it hits.

7. There is a misconception (and it's hard to tell from your wording whether you are one of the misconceived) that a lightning rod will save your house if it's struck by lightning.
    A lightning strike to the house is going to fry the house, rod or not. What a rod does is channel static energy into the ground, making it less likely that your house is hit.
    But if it is hit, you're just screwed.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Thunder, lightning, very very frightening?

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

What not to do in a thunderstorm?

Well, going online to reply to the "What not to do in a thunderstorm" thread on SportsJournalists.com certainly strikes me as a bad idea.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG]

DAMN!

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Galileo?

12. boots

boots New Member

Roy Cleveland Sullivan a U.S. forest Ranger in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia park ranger, survived seven lightning strikes, making him the world record holder. According to the Guinness Book of Records, Sullivan was first hit by lightning in 1942, and was struck six more times over the next 35 years. He was struck in the great outdoors. But he was also zapped in an office, and walking across his front yard to get the mail.

There was just something about Roy Sullivan that lightning liked.

Sullivan committed suicide in his 70s in 1983, reportedly distraught over the loss of a woman.

Draft saved Draft deleted