1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What not to do in a thunderstorm

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 28, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

There are many wive's tales about what you shouldn't do in a thunderstorm. What are some of the ones that you've heard or adhere to.

2. Boognish

Boognish Member

Fly a kite.

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Thunderstorms are about the only time I won't climb a water tower naked with a lightning rod stuck up my ass.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

There goes my plan for the evening.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

"In case of a thunderstorm, stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a one iron. Not even God can hit a one iron." -

Lee Trevino

6. boots

boots New Member

How about talking on the phone? or a cellphone for that matter? I understand someone was killed in Maryland talking on a cellphone while standing under a tree during a lightning storm.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

In all seriousness:

* Stay away from tall trees. Lightning often strikes the closest thing to it, or the tallest thing on the ground.
    * Stay away from open spaces, where you become one of the tallest things out there.
    * Stay away from aluminum storage sheds.
    * Get out of the water.
    * Stay away from the telephone and shower, because lightning can travel through the house wires.
    * If you can hear the thunder, you are in danger of being struck, even if it's clear skies above you.
    * If you feel the hair stand up on the back of your neck, croch down as low to the ground as possible. You could be close to a lightning strike.

Basically, the safest place to be in inside a house or building, which usually is secured with lightning rods that force lightning strikes into the ground.

If you're in a vehicle, keep your hands off metal objects. I vehicle can be struck by lightning.

If on a golf course or lake, get indoors as quickly as possible. Water is an excellent conduit for lightning, and golf courses offer wide-open ground where you become the tallest thing around.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Which means you're much better off taking a hit off your plastic bong if you plan on smoking pot while driving thru bad weather.

I always stash my metal one-hitter pipe when I hear thunder.

9. Boognish

Boognish Member

That's why you should by glass, broseph. Support your local blower and pick up a nice oney for under 20 bucks. ;D

10. boots

boots New Member

I've heard two stories about cars and thunderstorms. 1, that its not as safe as many claim. 2, that its the safest place.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

hmmmmm.... take pictures...

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

That would be one hell of a self-portrait. I would nominate her for some special award after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted