1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, no thread yet on Obama's huge drop in the Newsweek poll?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

McCain doesn't have to do anything until the debates, just wait for the Obama racial scandal of every week to playout on cable news.

2. Barack must not have given him his talking points today.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Unless the DNC Convention turns into Chicago 1968, which it very well could.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

What a moron.

I didn't say Obama had a 10-point lead in Florida. The pollsters at Quinnipiac said that.

5. Deeper_Background

Won't happen unless the Hillary voters insist on calling the veep selection

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Obama isn't up 15 points, and everybody knows that. But to think he's not ahead at this point is pure folly. The story is in the state-by-state polling.

Rasmussen today has Obama up 18 in Minnesota, up 8 in Michigan, up 10 in Iowa and down just 4 in South Dakota. This comes on the heels of last week's polls showing him up 5 in Montana and tied in North Dakota.

7. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

And this will mean what come November?

These useless polls (remember New Hampshire?) will swing wildly between now and the election and mean nothing until the voters actually make their pick.

Pay no attention to the pollster behind the curtain.

8. Deeper_Background

O is up 5 in Colorado to boot.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I agree; the polls today don't mean much in November. I just think when you see Obama with significant margins in states he's supposed to win and he's within a couple points in states he's not supposed to win, it's pretty clear that he's winning right now.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I still don't put much stock in polling. Here's a good reason.

Off a USA Today political blog headlined "Shift? What Shift?" countering the Newsweek poll.

Gallup certainly shows that its reading on the race hasn't been changing much:

Gallup's current reading is Obama 46%, McCain 43%, with a +/- 2 percentage point margin of error.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No, no. A national poll that shows an improvement for McCain is relevant. A national poll that shows Obama with a bigger lead than other polls is irrelevant, and especially because it's the states that matter. Unless, like I said, the national poll shows McCain doing well.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Here is what I don't understand: Obama moves to "the center" and loses support? I really don't get what his campaign has been doing in the last month.

Draft saved Draft deleted