1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, no thread on the Lane Bryant lingerie ad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Apr 24, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Another way your post could have gone down, if you're worried about your pocketbook.

2. I guess the bottom line is that I think that it should be possible to promote one body image without denigrating another as the means to that end. I understand the VS look can verge on unhealthy. But I'm talking about your average, everyday full-figured working mom putting down your average, everyday small-framed mom just out of spite. I don't think that's justifiable.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Come on boom, there's no need to be a dick about it. A plus-sized person can be in shape, too. And skinny people can have health problems. Put aside your ignorant stereotypes and stop whining.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Give me a break, Waylon. However much that happens, it pales in comparison to the snide shit and discrimination plus-sized women endure every day. I don't know any woman who puts down another woman for being "in shape." I do know plenty of women who make fat jokes, however.

What is "in shape" in your world, anyway?

5. We'll agree to disagree.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Statistics are on my side. Obesity is a major problem today in America. Obesity counts for over 10 % of all medical spending. People who are obese spend almost $1,500 more each year on health care -- about 41 percent more than an average-weight person.

7. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

What's it like up there on your pedestal Boom?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just fell off.
    It broke from the strain of my weight.

9. I will say this: A small woman would never openly call herself a "real woman" as if to imply that larger women are not "real women," but women and men say it all the time in reference to large women, including on this thread. Total double standard. People keep posting that large women are subject to all this discrimination, and it's probably true in terms of more subtle discrimination, which can be just as harmful and invidious. But there is no doubt that it is more socially acceptable to openly put down smaller women. Just look at how everyone bent over backward, including on the Oscars thread here, to talk about how "beautiful" the woman from "Precious" is.

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

;)

11. bwright

bwright Member

Give me a skinny woman over plump any day of the week. That model, however, is far from plump.

I wonder how her compensation for that ad would compare to a model with a more traditional "model" frame in a similar ad.

ETA: Also, I will say I don't think this is straight discrimination against bigger bodies. I know I've seen "plus-sized" lingerie ads before (I want to say Playtex... but that's just a guess) that weren't nearly as suggestive.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, except it's not Manilow. It's Chopin.
    Manilow based the theme for "Could It Be Magic?" on Chopin's Prelude in C Minor.
    When Jean Luc-Ponty recorded this for his "The Gift Of Time" album, everybody asked how come he was covering Manilow.
    Funny the strange bedfellows the public domain can create.

Draft saved Draft deleted