1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What - No GOP Presidential Debate Thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, May 3, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Most people's answer to that question -- especially if they are on the "no" side -- end up a bit more complicated than a "show of hands" question allows.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Actually, that's a pretty easy one. About as easy as "Do you believe in gravity?"

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I agree with Tancredo on two things - his closing off the border now belief and the call for a pardon on the border patrol officers in prison for doing their job to protect this nation.

Other than that he is a little off in la la land for me.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Out of the candidates running on the GOP side I could only see myself seriously considering a vote for Romney or Rudy G.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I think, however, that Romney looked a little better.

McCain looked waaaay too uptight. It seemed like he was too scared to talk, taking short, loud breaths. It was obviously painful for him.

5. 10 of them, and only Ron (Kucinich without the wife) Paul gets up and points out that Iraq was a clusterfuck from Day One.
    Rudy's getting killed around the blogosphere on his abortion answer, by the way.
    Hey, if only 30 percent of the GOP field doesn't believe in evolution, I look at that as a good thing. Oh, and Mitt? You really don't know dick about the history of the Middle East. The Muslim Brotherhood is not a terrorist organization, which is why al Zawahiri LEFT IT to form Islamic Jihad. And ther Sunni and Shi'a extremists are not united in their drive for a worldwide caliphate because that's the reason they split in the first place a couple hundred years ago, and...
    Oh, the hell with it. Just dig up Ronnie and run him.

6. I'd bet good money our current president doesn't believe in evolution and he got elected twice.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fixed your post.

8. That's true too, but my original point still stands.
    It's like Guliani saying Roe doesn't necessarily have to be overturned. It will turn off one side, and turn on the other.
    Some people won't vote for those three because they don't believe in evolution. Some people will only vote for one of those three for the same reason.

9. statrat

statrat Member

This debate was completely uninspiring, ugh. Of the bunch, I'd say Romney probably did the best job actually sounding intelligent. I though Tancredo came off surprisingly well for being a far right nut job, and Brownback did fairly well. Huckabee and McCain were awful. I want to like Mike Huckabee, I really do, but for a man who has built his campaign on supposedly being the straight shoot, the man simply could not answer a question. And McCain looked like the babbling old fool that he has become in recent years. Guliani probably hurt himself with his pro-abortion comments, but at least he knew the differences between Shiite and Sunnis, I'm sure some of the other candidates would not have had a clue.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wow. Completely disagree about Huckabee.

As for Giuliani, people are completely missing the point. If the Republican primaries are all about abortion, Giuliani loses no matter what.

He doesn't need a better answer about abortion. He needs better answers about what he wants the election to be about: The War in Iraq.

11. My God, what a field of lightweights. Of the GOP front-runners, two are liberals who say they are conservative because that's what the mouth-breathing base wants to hear, and McCain, the conservative, is plummeting in the polls because the base doesn't think he is a conservative.

And, the U.S. has to be the only civilized nation in the world where a potential candidate to be leader of the free world is actually asked, "Do you believe in evolution?"

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"Next question for the candidates: Yes or no, do you think the earth is flat?"

Draft saved Draft deleted