1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, no G.I. Joe thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm trying to stay away but it's sooooo tempting. I too was a big fan of the comic/cartoon/action figures growing up. My good friend Russ had probably over 100 figures and vehicles. With his GI Joes and my Transformers, we'd have some pretty epic battles. I've seen Resolute, the cartoons, and the old school cartoon movie and just like Transformers, I feel I have to see this. Maybe I'll wait till cheap movie night on Tuesday where it should be like six or seven bucks.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, they did at least blow the holy hell out of Battleforce 2000. I'm sure that was very therapeutic for Larry Hama. They were only in a couple of issues before that anyway, and their existence was plausible (they were an R&D unit on special assignment).
    As for Serpentor, he didn't last too long either. Only about 30 issues. And his corpse even served a useful (and clever) purpose later on in the run.
    Hama worked wonders with some of the turdy ideas Hasbro foisted on him.

3. Madhavok

I'm going to see the 9:45 showing tonight. Yes, that's right. But, it's for free since my friend owes me $10. So, I think I'll do this. Maybe SJ updates throughout the flick. Yes, yes, updates, I'll be that guy.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Crap, the thread became GI Joe comic talk and I missed it.

Bollocks.

I'll see this movie. Why not? Low expectations. Sure, the stuff about Destro's mask and Cobra Commander's face is utterly stupid. But at least we know that going in. Many things to argue in favor of seeing this.

Darth Maul as Snake-Eyes. Stuff blowing up. Always liked Dennis Quaid. And the local reviewer made sure to mention a fight between Scarlett and the Baroness.

5. Madhavok

Exactly. I've kind of stayed away from the message boards (mainly Superherohype.com) on this movie because once I heard who was directing and the cast involved, I didn't want to know anymore. I will say, I did creep a bit on some of the outfits back in the winter and was kind of bummed with Snake Eyes' mask, but it's grown a bit on me I guess.

I've heard bits and pieces on the backstory of CC and Destro but, have mostly stayed away from it on purpose knowing it's going to be terrible. So, might as well be surprised and at the same time let a few 'Really, really now?' at the cinema.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Eh, swing it back that way. Probably more interesting than the movie.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Holy shit. I went to the movies today to see something else (Funny People).

First, the line to buy tickets extended to the parking lot. Then, the line to buy concessions took half an hour.

While we were standing there to pay for our overpriced sodas and popcorn, I noticed a THIRD line leading toward the acned teen ticket-taker, stretching back through the doors and outside again.

"What the hell is THAT line for?" I wondered aloud.

Turns out, it was the line for the 7 p.m. showing of GI Joe. Which was sold out.

What the hell is wrong with people? Way too much trouble to see that obvious piece of rancid shit.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Are you fucking serious?

Jesus, I really was hoping this would bomb. I was thinking of seeing it but after a conversation with a friend of mine who likes the pretty lights of explosions in films and said Transformers 2 was the best film he has seen in a long time, I will not see it. He said it sucked.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It took Megan Fox leaning over a car hood to get me into Transformers. I still haven't seen Transformers 2.

It will be a cold day in hell when I see GI Joe.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I won't see anything with Channing Tatum in it, unless he gets killed, then I am in.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Looking on the bright side, the G.I. Joe movie can't be worse than Megaforce. Right?

Draft saved Draft deleted