1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, no Democratic Debate thread? (w/Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Initial thoughts:

Clinton - Interesting that she moved closer to Bush saying that we are safer now than we have been. Whether you agree or not, the mainstream Democratic line is that Bush policies have made us less safe by creating more al Qaeda and al Qaeda sympathizers. There was another issue on which it seemed to me like she was running a general election type campaign.

Clinton was really whiny in trying to defend her Iraq record.

Obama - I think he showed he can more than handle a stage with so-called political heavyweights. He should adapt a line from Reagan and say that he will not hold his opponents past experiences on the national stage against them. When Edwards tried to come after him about recent Iraq war funding vote by saying he wasn't being a leader, Obama smacked him down for his original vote to authorize the war.

Edwards - Tough on Obama and Clinton. He's clearly trying to gain the most ground here tonight. He's taking as many shots as he can early, but landing few.

Gravel - One of the others could do themselves a great service by telling him he's out of line and putting him in his place. Instead, Hillary whined when given the opportunity to do so.

Biden - Proving he's very strong on foreign policy, but overall I don't think he'll gain any ground.

ETA:
    Bill Richardson - You are governor of New Mexico, congressman, former diplomat, former energy secretary... WE KNOW THAT ALREADY! YOU DON'T HAVE TO MENTION IT EVERY TIME YOU SPEAK!

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

All but Obama showed up at a Dem function in Cedar Rapids last night, so Barack loses a few points from me, but that's neither here or there.

Since you asked and no one replied, here you go:

Hil, Obama, and the Breck Girl stood out as they duked it out among themselves. Biden is a smart guy, but his campaign operations here in Iowa is poor and his lackeys are as long-winded as he is. Richardson needs to stop bringing up his record, as you said. Tell us something we don't know, like, how were you able not to laugh while doing those commercials for your campaign?

Dodd's been running ads here about his war plan and global warming plan and noted that Hillary and Barack decided to follow suit after relenting at first. Dodd isn't getting a lot of help from Chet Culver either. Dodd is a family friend and former colleague of Chet's old man. The powerful Iowa Dems are behind Clinton, but the younger faction of the Dems are pushing Obama hard to beat her to the punch and take up all the open spots that she won't do for appearances.

3. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I likely won't vote for any of them, but I thought Richardson did a nice job tonight.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I mentioned to my wife the other day that Richardson seemed to have his stuff together.

"Bill Richardson? That guy's an asshole."

Uh, well, OK then...

Not sure who I'd cast a vote for yet on either side. Hopefully this field gets winnowed in a few months and it won't matter so much.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I thought Obama and Biden did well.

Hilary hit her first answer in the Town Hall format out of the park.

Edwards saw the latest polling and realizes he needs to make something happen. He's leading in Iowa but close to single digits nationwide.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I thought Obama, Clinton and Biden had the best night. Richardson, who I thought I'd like based on some of his policies, turned out as a major disappointment. Dodd and Edwards weren't bad, though when Edwards challenged Obama, he was smacked in the face.

Clinton to me was very impressive. As was stated above, Biden knows the most about foreign policy--that's obvious--but Clinton seems to understand what it means to be the POTUS more than anyone. She nailed Wolf about all the "raise-your-hand" questions, stating that politics isn't about hypothetical situations, and she and Barack seemed to be the only two that understood what she meant.

It was obvious to me that Hillary is a smart woman and that she learned a lot about what it takes to man (or woman) the White House while Bill was in there. I don't think anything changed tonight. This is still a two horse race with one or two that could make a splash if something changes.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm no fan of HRC's, but when she bitch-slapped Wolf about the "rejected plotline from 24" hypotheticals, I clapped.

Seriously, we should be better than that.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watched a little bit of it - thought the format was good, but since there were no major gaffes or knockdowns I think the biggest impact will be felt in New Hampshire. Unless there is a major scandal or big time news event that skews perspective I don't see a lot of movement (in the national preferences) between now and primary season. If Edwards takes Iowa and New Hampshire it will be interesting to see how that impacts the rest of the primaries. Kerry was in his position in 04 and coasted after taking Iowa and New Hampshire. Anyone out there wish the "first" primaries were moved around a bit? Say New Mexico or Missouri get a shot at first in the nation?

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm a Richardson guy, but he doesn't play well on TV. He's better, a lot better, and vastly more qualified that the field. Yet, this is American politics, meaning experience counts for squat and performance relates to performance in the debates, not in real life.

That's what gives candidates like Obama a chance, and relegates people like Richardson to the VP slot or the cabinet.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Who will you likely vote for?

11. I thought that old fuck from Alaska was my grandpa arguing at Christmas dinner for a while there

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I agree that Richardson is a good guy, Freelance, and that he comes off better in person than on television, but I disagree with your framing of the situation.

Hell, Dick Cheney has lots of experience. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted