1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What? No College FB Championship Thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Jan 8, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The most relevant comparison would be last night's game versus the four wretched wild card games. And remember, CFB is cable only. Even the ESPN wild card game was also on ABC over the air affiliates.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They got gassed. Clemson ran what, 99 plays? A couple of more first downs and UA wins.

Tempo.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

When they go to an 8 team playoff:

Let all the bowls play out as prelims.

Round of 8 either on Jan 1 with the current bowls, or around the NFL round of 8 weekend: 2 on the time slots the NFL leaves available on the weekend(which is going to be the 1pm slot soon when the shield goes to 4 and 8 on both days.). maybe one on Friday and one on Monday.

Semis: play Saturday when the NFC/AFC championships are on Sunday.

Championship game: on Saturday, the day before the Super Bowl.

Love the idea of a Saturday/Sunday aligned for the colleges and pros for the semis and big games.

Don't buy the argument that people are burned out on football. If aligned this way, it could build the buzz/fervor all throughout January for both leagues.

And please don't give me any of the arguments about 'students' missing class in January.

The round of 8 piece needs some thought. But can totally see this happening. May want to paste this on the sports future thread,

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This would be an utter catastrophe for the sport.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And already pimping Kuiper up the goddamn wazoo even though it's 3 months away.

The NFL needs to shut it down and wistfully and silently stare out of the window for 3 months after the season ends.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yea, you're probably right, since it will take all the focus away from national signing day...

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

" consensus that college basketball should seek to emulate college baseball based upon the gut feeling that a lot of people watched baseball games in Starkville, Miss."

Actually, the consensus reached was that college baseball's system for determining when you can turn professional - anytime after high school or if you enroll in a JC, but only after three years, or when you turn 21, if you enroll in a four-year college - would also work pretty well for college basketball.

You are the one who, for some idiotic reason, made it about the relative popularity of the two sports and said it would not work , and not on the process itself. The popularity of the two sports is a red herring. But you can't stop yourself from being yourself.

Cosmo likes this.
  9. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Maybe it wasn't a consensus, but there were some arguments for emulating college baseball.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Fuck me, you want the season to extend into February?

I love college football as much as anyone, being from the South and all, but by New Years I'm ready to call it a season. (Yeah, OK, I'm a Georgia fan, so my season is usually wrapped up in late October anyway.)

People absolutely get burnt out on it, and not because it is "JV" or any of that bullshit. It is no different than any other sport that way.

I Should Coco and Hermes like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree. Besides, it wouldn't leave enough time for fans to obsess about recruiting.

Draft saved Draft deleted