1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What? No College FB Championship Thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Jan 8, 2017.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Good point.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

On the West Coast, watched parts of the first half before and after dinner, watched two recorded shows with my wife, then watched the last 12 minutes of the game.

If it wasn't close, I would not have come back to the game. I imagine a lot of people in the east gave up with Bama up double digits around 11 p.m.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It probably hurt these last couple of years that Clemson was one of the teams in the finals. Sports fans know Clemson, but your average Joe tends to have not a clue.

In 2003 when Clemson finally beat Florida State for the first time (in an ACC game), my wife and I were watching the game at a sports bar. Texas was drubbing someone, and pretty much everyone else in the bar was watching that game. When it became obvious we were out of sync with the rest of the room, some guy came over and asked us what game we were watching. "Clemson, huh? Where's that?" He was friendly enough and later came over to talk with us again. "I'm gonna pull for Clemson from now on," he said, pumping his fist. "Go ... what are y'all called?"

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

On one of the ESPN simulcasts last night, Bill Walton asked Jay Bilas "what city is Clemson in?"

dixiehack and doctorquant like this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My wife asked last night where the school was -- not just what state but actually where -- and I had to get out the Google Maps.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don't know what it says about me, but I seriously enjoyed that broadcast of five people talking over each other way more than actually listening to announcers.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'd think a better comparison would come from running those numbers on a random October weekend. The Super Bowl is the Death Star of American television, altering the orbit of everything else in the universe.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

We used to keep an assortment of little college promo digests. The one for Clemson made it sound like Shangri-La.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He also apparently spent a considerable amount of time stumping for the legalization of Mary Jane.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

And invited Beadle up to his hotel room after the game.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If it didn't conflict with my game of the year, I'd watch Bill Walton shoot the breeze with people in a DMV line. Dude just fascinates me.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My wife is an IU grad, so I constantly quote Walton from a year ago in Maui when he randomly asked Boog Sciambi: "How many Yogis do you know?" in a voice only Walton could.

Draft saved Draft deleted