1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What newspaper corporations ARE doing well?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slatter, Jun 1, 2008.

1. slatter

slatter Member

Every job posting I hear "avoid (Gannett, Media General, CNHI, etc.)," and I know the biz isn't doing well... but surely, not ALL of the big owners are in the tank right now, right? Are any corporations doing well? Or at least, not to the point where they should be avoided? ???

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The trouble with the chains is that trouble spreads quickly. A financial problem at one paper or group of papers within the corporation now translates into draconian measures throughout the chain to compensate.

So your paper can be coasting along just fine and generating an obscene profit margin when the word comes down that they need you to be a little more obscene next quarter, lest we upset the fund managers who own gobs and gobs of stock. And then, when the financial situation improves, someone invariable "forgets" to rescind the last round of cost-cutting.

It used to be that the individual operating units would be given a quarter or two (or three) to dig themselves out of trouble.

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Other than the Wall Street Journal, there isn't any newspaper that can say it is doing well.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

belo will be doing really well when the land they own downtown is bought up for a city-owned mega convention hotel.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

None of 'em.

6. slatter

slatter Member

Well, then which chains are doing the worst?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

JRC. :D Closed at 16 cents a share Friday and was delisted by NYSE April 16.

MediaNews and CNHI are both closer to the cliff's edge than they care to admit.

8. No surprise this list is non-existent. With the close of Knight-Ridder, I would have put McClatchy at the top of the list, but they are now pushing people out left and right and cutting salaries.

This is why I'm perfectly content at my family-owned paper.

Edit to add: Of course, I won't be completely shocked if I'm laid off tomorrow.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's a better question: which newspapers are actually losing money?

Not many, if any at all.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

The New York Post is losing enough for everyone.

11. bingo

12. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

That's what I always hear and say a lot of the time, but do we have proof that everyone is still making money and that no one is losing money? I have to think with the economy as bad as it is, there are some people (maybe more than some) who are actually losing money. Then again, I may be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted