1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What music from today will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Were they MTV's first victim of censorship because of that song?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

The "faggot" lines I believe were edited out.

3. That's what I was driving at. Couldn't really remember a song before that which caught the ire of the censors (not counting the metal bands, of course).

4. pallister

pallister Guest

That really was a great song (in fact a great album), and got Mark Knofler and Dire Straits some much-deserved mainstream exposure.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Money for Nothing got its chops busted, but Real Men by Joe Jackson (with the line "so don't call me a faggot, not unless you are a friend") was not censored. Then again, it was the equivalent of a "album cut," so I guess it was under the radar.

6. dooley_womack1

I thought it was "Squier"

7. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

it's already been said, but the problem's not that there isn't good music being released right now, it's that the industry is in shambles. It's not a new problem that shit is getting the big push, though. You could go back for as long as I've been listening to the radio and find god awful crap at the top of the charts while artists with strong lyrics and musicianship are toiling beneath the surface. for every rascal flatts there's a joe ely. for every nickelback, there's a drive-by truckers.

I don't know that there'll be such a thing as classic rock stations with the hits from the 2000's, but who knows what pop radio will be like in 20 years, if it even exists at all in the state we now know it.

For what it's worth, I think there are lots of people putting out popular music right now who will remain relevant for a long time to come, most of whom have already been mentioned:
    Tool, Radiohead, Coldplay, Norah Jones, John Legend, Nickel Creek, Ben Folds, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Drive-By Truckers, Nas, John Mayer, Green Day, The Roots, Eminem, White Stripes, The Strokes, Foo Fighters, Beck, Outkast, Wilco all came to mind after a few minutes of thought. I think J. Timberlake and Aguilera will stand the test of time because they have a little musical ability and don't get by on flash alone. not so much for britney.

and there are lots more little oddball acts like belle and sebastian, regina spektor, yo la tengo etc. that are well thought of these days, but it's hard to predict how they'll be regarded in 20 years, or if they'll be regarded at all.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just Sunday night, when crossing the parking lot to my car after work, the guys were blaring music while loading newspapers onto the trucks ... it was Cinderella, "Nobody's Fool." Absolutely cracked me up because it seemed so random.

9. dooley_womack1

Onion readers will long remember the college record store employees who died at the building collapse at the Yo La Tengo concert.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not your foooool . . Nobody's Fool. Nobody's fool. . . .

Ahhh, gold!

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Never again, no, no.

12. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

One I forgot: As far as country (or bluegrass)....Alison Krauss. Although some of her more recent music might be a bit poppy, she's still a brilliant musician, has a beautiful voice and an outstanding group of musicians around her in union station.

Draft saved Draft deleted