1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What music from today will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Feb 11, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I like Tool, but let's not be putting them in with Zeppelin just yet.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tool is still too unmainstream to be the Zeppelin of our time. And I'm a huge fan of Tool. (No fun with the quote function!!). Tool makes great records. Tool doesn't make rock-radio hits.

3. d
    I disagree. Tool isn't U2 big, but each of their albums go No. 1 for a week because the fan bases are so loyal. Songs from their first album are still being played on rock stations all the time. They are a critics darlings, and have a very loyal fan base.

I could be wrong, but Led Zeplin at first was more of a niche band.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

What do you know about it? Your handle is derived from Kris Kross. WTF?!?!?!?!

Tell us about missin' the bus, why don't ya? :D ;D

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't know, since they started out before I was born. Maybe Tool is the sort of band that will become a classic rock staple 20 years from now. I'd love to see it.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Zeppelin were not critical darlings -- Rolling Stone trashed them every chance they got.

But they sold out massive arenas at will. They were, for a time, the biggest rock band in the world.

Something Tool has never quite done.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My grandmother was a huge Zepplin fan back in the day. I don't know what that means, but I'm betting they weren't that much of niche band.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Maybe she just liked them because their concerts were where the middle school boys hung out.

9. sportschick

Eh, my grandpa was the cradle robber. Grandma was 15 when they got married. He was 21.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Which state, exactly, allowed that?

11. sportschick

Montana, and she lied about her age. Said she was 17. At the time, you could get married there at 17.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, 17 makes sense.

Hell, in those western states, I'm sure a few allow one to marry at 16.

15 is a bit of a stretch. Maybe in Kentucky.

Draft saved Draft deleted