1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What music from today will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

A post in the Grammy thread got me thinking, and I think this deserves its own thread. What music from today will stand the test of time? What will still be on the radio on some "oldies" station 30 years from now?
    I can't think of a ton off the top of my head, but I'll start it with the Chili Peppers.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

U2

Has stood time for 20+ years, and will continue to do so.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pearl Jam.

(Yes, I realize I'm the one who said the 2027 Grammys would be awful because no one gives a shit about the music of today)

4. Boobie Miles

I'd go as far back as the 90s because that music obviously isn't "old" yet. I'm thinking about my generation, but obviously there's wide range of ages on here, so I'd say the last 10 years or so. Definitely not literrally today, as in 2007 only.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

took the words right out of my mouth.

are u2 and springsteen from today? pearl jam and green day? anyone who hit the scene post-2000?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Will Meat Loaf be hyping "Bat Out Of Hell VI: The Horse Is Dead" come 2027? :D :D :D

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The last 10 years, 1997-2007.....nothing.
    Absolute shit....other than "vets" like U2, Springsteen, etc.

8. Boobie Miles

Feel free to use your own guidelines. I wouldn't put Springsteen in today. U2 though probably would, and Green Day and Pearl Jam definitely... like I said, last 10-15 years.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Eminem, Green Day, Christina Aguilera, Mary J. Blige (provided she stops putting rappers in all her songs) . . . . . . .

Hinder (Hi BYH)

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They don't belong there. Simple, but true.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because they're still recording for a major label and touring. They're still releasing and performing new product on a fairly regular basis.

12. Boobie Miles

I don't know how many rap fans are on the board, but what'll happen to it? Like I said in the other thread I don't see today's rappers still rapping and going on tours in 25 years. But I don't think the music will cease to exist, there will probably always be young people coming up and taking their place. But will today's rap be on the radio like music from the 60s and 70s are on oldies and classic rock stations?

Draft saved Draft deleted