1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What media knows and ethical and legal responsibility

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Nov 27, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lieutenant: "Yes."

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Wait. Is it that same guy who came to us last year? No thanks."

3. YankeeFan

Has ESPN described their "investigation" the way the Post-Standard has?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know. Has it?

5. YankeeFan

And, that's fine.

For ESPN & the Post-Standard, their job isn't to investigate this with the goal of securing an arrest or prosecution.

They have to look at its news value. For the Post-Standard, they have to consider the possibility that a respected member of their community is in fact a sexual predator, who preys on young boys.

For me, the reason they approach the police is to try to get more info in order to investigate the claims.

Maybe the cops tell them the guy is a nut. Maybe they play the tape for the cops and the cops change their opinion of him.

6. YankeeFan

What about this decision:

I understand you don't go straight to Fine. You don't want to tip him off that your poking around. He might be able to pressure other potential witnesses.

But, before you decide to just drop it for 9 years, don't you eventually talk to him?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How?

8. YankeeFan

What do you mean, how?

Just knock on his front door.

Sandusky's interview with Costas was pretty revealing, wasn't it?

Besides, the Post-Standard says they talked to Bernie's wife about the tape recording. There's a pretty good chance Bernie was aware they were looking at him.

Why would you not ask him about the accusations?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Sandusky had already been indicted on 40 counts of felony child molestation. He's out on bail. He and his lawyer are grasping at any opportunity to tell "his side" of it.

Fine? C'mon.

[knock-knock]

"Yes?"

"Are you coach Fine of Syracuse University?"

"Yes I am."

"Are you a pedophile?"

"No."

"Thank you for your time. Good luck against St. John's."

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to expand. If I could read minds, I wouldn't have asked.

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

So Doria makes the expected utilitarian counterargument for going to be police. That is, people wouldn't come to us with stories if they couldn't trust us. But for that to be valid, wouldn't ESPN have to report some socially beneficial stories? Has it? Getting sources to trust you scoops about Brett Favre's bowel movements isn't exactly God's work. But maybe they've done some big things I'm forgetting.

Draft saved Draft deleted