1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, me worry? RIP Mad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Cheap!

Jokes aside, I loved Mad Magazine as a kid. When I was in graduate school, I got to meet Al Jaffee when he donated his papers to the library and gave a talk about his career. I'm not sure what it says about me that the highlight of my educational experience was meeting the guy who invented the Fold-In and wrote "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions," but it was pretty cool.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

One of my favourites:
    Mom to squabbling siblings: "If you two don't stop fighting I'll knock your heads together!"
    Kid: "Say now ... that'll make us like each other".

3_Octave_Fart and Woody Long like this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Weird Al Jankovic wrote a beautiful tribute to Mad Magazine when the news came down. It's one of the dozen things I've seen on Twitter that have knocked my socks off.

4. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

I don't think MAD changed so much as the world became more absurd. When MAD would do something about Nixon, what they were saying wasn't factually true, but you kind of felt that secretly, that was what Nixon thought. If you quote some of things that Trump said, they would be too absurd for MAD magazine.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Add to that the ubiquitous conspiracy theories easily within reach, and there's hardly a place for MAD to go that hasn't already been covered.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It became very simple for MAD. They couldn't laugh or lampoon some of this stuff in good conscience, it's too damned dismal. There's nothing funny about a paedophile ring.

Also, not for nothing, but 70 years is a good run for a magazine in a new-media ecosystem. The American magazine dates to the 1830s and has always been erratic.

Draft saved Draft deleted