1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, me worry? RIP Mad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jul 4, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Or so it appears. Sourcing sounds like an "insider" calling into sports talk with details of a big trade, but ...

MAD Magazine to Cease Publication

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

misterbc and maumann like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I usually grab the year in review issue sold around the holidays - still as funny as ever.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hugely influential comic anarchy. Several generations of postwar American artists owe it a great debt of gratitude.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Doc Holliday and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Eech, bleech and yeech!

I think when I subscribed to it, it was 35 cents an issue (CHEAP!). Most of the time, the movie parody was better than the movie itself, even if I was too young to go see it. Spy vs. Spy. Hawks and Doves. The back page fold-in. The usual cast of idiots. Alfred E. Neuman. No more Horrifying Cliches!

Most of us coming of age after Woodstock probably got our sarcastic, sardonic view of the world from MAD Magazine. I know MAD, Bugs Bunny, Get Smart and Laugh-In provided most of the "intelligent" humor I'm known for to this day. And why it flies right over the heads of most people I know!

misterbc and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I loved MAD and read it religiously every summer from age 8-14.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I read it solidly from 1966-75 or so (age 8-17). Catholic school nuns seemed to think it was one step away from absolute smut.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Don Martin Dept.

misterbc and maumann like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Closest I ever got to be being bullied as a little kid was when a 13-year-old in my neighborhood "coerced" me into selling him my entire 50-issue collection for $1.

maumann likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I still vividly remember one of Sergio Aragones' little marginal comics. It's of a trapeze artist who has just leaned into his drop off of his perch. He is bare chested, and one toe of his tights is stretched out behind him, hung on a nail. One hand is on the trapeze and the other is clutching the waistband of his tights as he hangs suspended between the bar and the perch.

The look of absolute desperation on his face, little beads of sweat flying off of him as he tries to decide which to let go of... I don't know how the artist got all that into a little comic half an inch tall.

I remember singing Mad's parody lyrics to various patriotic songs and pissing my dad off royally with them.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted