1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes This Piece Good, Vol. 1: Buster Olney on Mariano Rivera's cutter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jun 3, 2014.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Olney's obit/tribute to Tony Gwynn is up on the ESPN main page.

2. SteveRomano13

SteveRomano13 Member

Can we get a VOL. 2 for this please

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yes. I'll have it up later today.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it. Great idea for a thread DD. Glad that you chose to spotlight
    Olney in first volumn. In many ways I've always felt that he was a bit unsung in how good
    a baseball writer that he is.

Just curios when did Olney hit your radar screen? He hit mine in '97 when he started covering The
    Yankees and became a daily read in '98 record season

There's a great story about Olney confrontation with Deon Sanders after Buster wrote an unflattering piece about him:
    http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/development-of-a-jerk-neon-deions-bush-league-days

Sanders replied to Olney by writing on a baseball "Keep writing like that your whole life and you'll always be a loser."

5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

This is a brilliant piece on many levels.

By talking to so many sources (I counted 10, not counting Rivera), from all different aspects of baseball, it shows just how respected/feared Rivera and his "cutter" are.

The most impressive part to me is that regardless of what type of baseball fan you are, Olney is able to explain how dominant Rivera is. He's got stats to back up the dominance, anecdotes from All-Star across the league and even a "Sports Science" type of breakdown. All of these viewpoints are on display and explained in a way that all fans can understand. The stats aren't too complex for those who are sabermetrically disinclined, the stories give you an "inside baseball" feel without making the reader feel like an outsider and while the technical breakdown is good, you don't feel like you had to have passed Physics to understand.

The multiple angles also makes it a surprisingly quick read and not make it feel like Olney is banging you over the head with the argument, even though it is nearly 2,000 words long.

Draft saved Draft deleted