1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes this piece bad, Vol 1: Ann Coulter on soccer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 26, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

With apologies to DD, let's discuss this

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

Here are some passages that I thought were were worthy of pulling out.

Umm, okay. Some one needs to show her Quarterback Princess starring Helen Hunt and, for what it is worth, I have a niece playing peewee football.

No, dammit. It is orange slices!

Oh, shit. I almost agree with her. Soccer fans are the worst. They evangelize like former fatties or smokers who have kicked the coffin sticks. And that fucking trend piece in the Times a few months back about MFAs and soccer going together made me lose my shit. Anyway, moving on.

This is the bat shittiest crazy digression ever. And the metric system rant goes on. She almost could have built a less crazy column if she hadn't gone all metric hating and hadn't conflated youth soccer with elite level international, professional soccer.

Factually accurate, if you exclude the people who watched on Univision, but comparing an early round World Cup match to the Super Bowl twists things badly out of context, and about Univision ...

This is so patently offensive and so perfectly trolly that I tip my cap to Coulter for coming up with the lines.

She manages to imply that third-generation Americans are somehow new and struggling to speak English. It is just fucking perfect. For real.

2. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

She's trolling for attention and you took the bait. Congratulations, you lose!

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Therefore, baseball, basketball, hockey and football aren't serious sports since it's common for girls to be playing in boys' starter leagues in those sports.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

She is correct that enthusiasts of any other sport don't have to tell the uninitiated how marvelous it is.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Geez. And I posted it on the World Cup for a laugh. I didn't know it was serious enough to deconstruct!

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Remind me again why I five a flying goddamn monkey fuck about Ann Coulter?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The American measuring system is quite possibly the only thing in the world dumber than soccer. Yet, that's what she uses to illustrate her point? Fail.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And, like Dan Shaughnessy recently, she steals the Frank Deford line about how the ability to use hands is what separates us from animals.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Old Tony just popped a boner of anguish. :-[

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I must point out that the Quarterback Princess was a movie. Fiction.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The sport stinks.
    There's no reason to write a column about it, though.
    If you like watching a sport derived from men kicking a cabbage head around a meadow- then like what you like.

Draft saved Draft deleted