1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes it worth it to you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by times38, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

True. But there are some who are only there to punch the clock.

2. I live in a town with more than 40,000 people and barely 300 come for a football game. Sports are of no concern around here. Conversely, I know some of my college paper colleagues have covered high school games that bring in 3,000 in a town no larger than mine.

Really, when another beat comes open and if I transfer, my current position will not be replaced.

That's the cold truth of the matter. You're being dramatic over nothing.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What makes it worthwhile to me is that I'm doing what I want to do. It's a very rare day when I get up in the morning and say to myself, "Oh, damn, I have to go to work." There are way too many people in the world who hate what they do for a living; I'm not one of them. I have my share of awards and I know I do a good job.

OK, so I'll have to work until I'm 114 in order to retire . . . can't have everything.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue] Wal-Mart greeter get lots of action from the nursing home crowd![/blue]

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

What makes it worth it is the daily challenges it presents, the rush and adrenalin of getting the story and meeting deadline (especially the eleventh hour), but more importantly is the rapport with many players, coaches, executives and contacts.

Most importantly are the friendships and mentors I have made in the process of my writing/journalism career. That is priceless and invaluable considering this can be a cut-throat, competitive environment.

Draft saved Draft deleted