1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes it worth it to you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by times38, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Oh, shit. Where's Write-brained? ;D

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

After 38 years I have come the this conclusion:

How many jobs are there where everyday you can hold in your hands the tangible results of your work -- the stories you've written, the headlines you've writtnen, the pages/section you've designed -- and also know that thousands of other people are also seeing those results.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue] All the Super Models who throw themselves at sports writers![/blue]

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I believe "overweight" is an extraneous word in that sentence.

5. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

I just love what I do. It's that simple. I love developing relationships and sources. I LOVE sports. I love doing whatever I can to provide a service to sports. I'm extremely blessed and lucky to be where I am. I could be working a 9-to-5, sitting at a desk all day. But instead I'm meeting new people every day, learning more and more about athletes and sports, and I get to cover games on top of that! I don't care how bad it gets with all the stress, it's worth it because I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

It's something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I was 12 when I decided I wanted to be sports writer. Sitting at a minor league baseball game, taking score, and then I figured why not write a gamer about this for fun. 10 years later, I enjoy to hold in my hands what was crafted. Few other professions can enjoy the thrill of seeing their product in a tangible means. There are carpenters, laborers, bricklayers, house builders, etc. You ask those people about what brings them to the job site every day, I bet you will get many of the same answers. They enjoy seeing what they created. I would also consider myself a people person and I like to create relationships and be able to tell the stories of those who usually wouldn't have the option.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

This is a good question that's becoming more and more difficult to answer. Right now I can't get past the doddering reader who can't understand why we don't put satellite channels in the TV listing, being denied a promotion because the ME didn't think you were "management material," deciding between ramen and mac and cheese for dinner, or telling a co-worker to hold on to a check for another pay period.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Or denied a raise because, well, what were going to do about it anyway, punk?
    Hit the job market? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    Now gimme that gamer, that sider, some audio, a little video and don't forget to blog from home later.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i've been out of the business for years now but the basic thing that motivated me was that i could go up to anyone at any time and ask them stuff.

in our society people don't just start talking to strangers. tell 'em you're a reporter and it's like magic: they will open up to you.

there are plenty of exceptions, of course, but that's what i loved.

i also loved the rush of beating the competition, knowing stuff before the public did (because i was writing the story as it happened) and knowing that i was deciding what and how much the public would know.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's why I didn't pursue a broadcast job at ESPN. I decided to go the print journalism route because of the gratification I got when I saw my byline and my work in print. To this day, I still get a little rush when I pick up the paper or open up its Web site. Hopefully that'll never fade.

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

the thrill/joy/anxiety of putting one word after another, hoping that someone, anyone likes the story.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

even after 29 years in the biz, it sure beats workin' for a living. i live in a town where ALL our friends have more money than we do, sure. but i'm the only one of our friends who doesn't mind talking about his/her job because THEY want to talk about it with me. that's gotta count for something. 8) 8) 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted