1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes it worth it to you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by times38, Sep 7, 2007.

1. times38

times38 Member

Sorry if this has been done before, but I'm new here.

There's generally a lot of talk about the bad on here, but I'm wondering what about this business makes all the crap we go through worth it to you? Getting to cover a big game? A call from a parent or coach thanking you for a story? Recognition from your peers?

For me, even with the many different functions I've had in my short time in the business, it's probably the simple fact that no matter how often I question what I'm doing, I wake up every day looking forward to coming in to work.

What about you guys (and gals)?

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The groupies

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What amrader says. The groupies LOVE copy editors. I pull hot boys from 18-35, proveably hot, demonstrably hot. :D

Now for a serious answer, very rarely do I dread going into work, but as for what makes it worthwhile, I'm not sure. I don't get many compliments from readers because I don't write anymore and while I love recognition from my peers, it's not something that drives me.

All that really matters, I guess, is that I do love this business, and that's probably what drives me.

4. EnZona

EnZona Member

Well until about three hours ago, it was covering people like Rick Ankiel and getting to tell cool stories. Nothing like busting your ass on a story, throwing it all together and then sitting back and admiring what you just created.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of working a "real job" for a little more than a year, so enjoying what I do is right near the top of my list. This gig lets me go places and see things I never would've had the chance to experience otherwise, not to mention rarely (if ever) covering the same thing twice.

True, I'd rather not have to choose which bills to pay and which to sit on each month, but you can't have everything.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

for me, it's watching people such as enzona when they discover the RA's of the world.

7. Babs

Babs Member

I like satisfying my curiosity by asking almost any question I can come up with.

I like the rush of knowing I have a great story just waiting to be put together.

Rarely do people comment on how much they like stuff, so I try not to expect it. When it happens, that's good too.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Wish I knew the answer to this one.

9. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

The paycheck.

10. rgd

rgd Guest

Getting paid.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i enjoy wnba chicks in the buff.

12. hoopsfor3

hoopsfor3 New Member

It's when you have the freedom to shape your day and choose the stories you are going to write with as few hassles as possible. It's the adrenaline rush you get from covering a big game on deadline and knowing you nailed the story or column. It's the friendships that are maintained over the years with other writers and editors long after you and/or they have gone to other papers. But it's definitely not getting called into the editor's office and being told that as much as they value your work, you've been chosen for a buyout. Sorry, we can't afford to pay your for more than 30 years of experience. "But if you won't to take beginner's pay, you can replace yourself." Thanks, Gannett.

Draft saved Draft deleted