1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes her so special?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 28, 2010.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wow, didn't know there were so many open-wheel racing experts on here.

Danica is a fairly accomplished, middle-of-the-pack racer. When things fall the right way she can contend. If they don't, she won't. That puts her in line with about 80% of the field.

She gets a disproportionate amount of attention because she's a woman who cleans up pretty well. No shit.

She also gets a disproportionate amount of shit that a guy with the exact same career wouldn't have to deal with. Yeah, she blames others too often after a wreck and comes off as petulant and whiny. If she were ten times worse about that she could almost be an honorary Andretti, but they don't take near the flak for it she does.

I'm far from a Danica apologist -- for largely personal reasons, few things make me happier than seeing a car with "Go Daddy" all over it get stuffed in a wall. But the fact that she's not the top driver in IndyCar doesn't exactly make her a fraud and a failure.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are you with a supermodel or something? I'd think most straight women would hit that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Stitch, I don't know what a straight woman would hit. And no, I'm not with a supermodel, but Patrick at best is a size 4 and that's being generous. Sorry, that doesn't do anything for me.
    And I'm not calling her one of the Lee sisters (Ugly, Homely or Lonely). She's far from that.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

She's a good driver who gets the attention of a great one because she's good looking for a race car driver and has a knack for seeking attention.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Well, odds are she doesn't live next door to him, so, probably not. But have a happy Paul Bunyan Day!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Come on. That's just stupid. Maybe she works in human resources on occasion.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

One thing that makes Danica so special is she can sell tickets for NASCAR Nationwide races. That's something Kyle Busch or Carl Edwards can't do. Whenever she races in the Nationwide Series, Danica creates a buzz, from the media and the fans. The Cup stars of NASCAR can't do that.
    In Indy cars, I compare her to Marco Andretti. For a driver with his pedigree and backing, he should have more than one win. Talk about an underachieving, overrated driver. But Marco receives no criticism for having won only one race, the exact same number as Danica.
    There are some talented drivers in Indy cars. Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti, Tony Kanaan. Winning races is tough, even in Indy cars.
    Danica is good for NASCAR and good for Indy cars. She brings attention to those sports. The attention might be a bit skewed, but it is attention nonetheless.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Word.

The "IndyCar was so great and so deep until Tony George depleted the field" argument is so 1998 (or a lot of hot air wafting up from Franceville).

Dr. Jack Miller and Racin Gardner aren't the field anymore. Milka Duno can't make any race she has to qualify for. IndyCars haven't been Saturday-night stiffs getting a sniff at big-time equipment for 6-7 years, and especially for the last three. There are a lot of talented drivers in the field -- those guys, Will Power is nails on road courses, Dan Wheldon is a crafty oval driver in less-than-stellar equipment. Graham Rahal is very good. The field is pretty solid, stable and it's a lot deeper than it has been in years. Could it be even deeper? Sure, but even in the 1970s, there were only about 8-10 really well-funded competitive cars and a bunch of field-fillers. In 2010, there are about 8-10 really well-funded competitive cars, but the field-fillers are guys like Wheldon, Justin Wilson, Graham Rahal, Takuma Sato and Tomas Scheckter -- people who have some pretty decent talent.

Danica has finished in the top four twice at Indy, led the thing as a rookie, and has been in the top eight of that race every time she's run save the year Ryan Briscoe ran over her in the pits. She's not a stiff.

That said, I don't think she'll make it in stock cars, other than to collect some cash. The adjustment from a high-downforce, fast, nimble IndyCar to a big, slow, heavy front-engined car with mechanical grip is very, very difficult, and the only ones who have really mastered the Indy-to-NASCAR are those who came up driving front-engined cars with mechanical grip -- e.g., Tony Stewart. Hornish, Franchitti, Patrick, et al, grew up driving karts and rear-engined cars.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if she wants to be taken seriously as a driver and not treated as a sideshow, she needs to quit flashing to boobs around.
    I'm all for sexy, but there's a time and a place. Besides, she comes across as such a whiny shrill PITA, I don't care what she looks like.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Same holds for Carl Edwards. Just sayin'.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, except for the boobs thing.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Did you not see his shirtless magazine cover?

Draft saved Draft deleted