1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes her so special?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 28, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The better comparison is Ashley Force Hood. She might have Danica beat on all the criteria here save big-time media attention, because drag racing is a minor niche sport and she has never made it a goal to be a crossover star, unlike Danica.

On the track, Ashley is unquestionably more successful. I feel bad for her every time someone asks her a Danica question; it should be the other way around.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

A cups pushed together for a slutty look does nothing for my snake. Try again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Technically, even though he's got two Daytona 500 trophies, Waltrip won it 1 1/2 times.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent point. As a driver, I don't think Danica is no where near as good as Janet Guthrie.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think Guthrie ever won in the Indy car series. And her highest finish at Indy was 9th or something.

Patrick finished 3rd last year's 500; was ranked 5th in points for the season; and has won in that series.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's true, although two of Richard Petty's seven wins came in races that also didn't go 500 miles. They were much, much closer to 500 than was Waltrip's second win, but they didn't go 500.

7. CR19

CR19 Member

How many times did Patrick win in IndyCar?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Once, right?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351847,00.html

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

In an Indy-car series that is a pathetically watered-down version of what it was before Tony George fucked everything up.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You'll get no argument from me about the low quality of the series.

But she's competitive with the field she finds herself in. Does that somehow disqualify her entirely?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

The competition was much better when Guthrie ran.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's nice. It's also about 2 light years away from the point.

The point is that the aforementioned players got more attention than their accomplishments DESERVED . . . and far more attention that players with equal or far superior numbers and accomplishments received.

There does not have to be a perfectly equal proportion to Patrick's accomplishments for the point to stand.

Some people just capture the public's and the media's attention. Whether it's for notorious acts off the field or feuds with coaches or outlandish statements or just by screaming "ME! ME! ME!" in eveything they do.

Terell Owens gets 1,440,000 Google responses. Reggie Wayne gets 368,000.

Is Owens five times more accomplished than Wayne? No. THAT'S the point.

Draft saved Draft deleted