1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes her so special?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 28, 2010.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Can we be real for a moment here? I'd hit it on the Louisiana shoreline, repeatedly and without hesitation, assuming I was the last man on earth and could somehow get her attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dale Jr isn't a fair comparison. He's won a lot of races, including two Busch titles.

To the OP, why judge Patrick by some arbitrary sexist standard? Ask yourself instead why Michael Waltrip has earned tens of millions of dollars in a lackluster career.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Maybe when Danica Patrick wins the Daytona 500 twice you can compare her to Michael Waltrip.

She's done nothing impressive and the only reason she is force fed down our throats as some superstar is because of political correctness.

The same can be said of Michelle Wie.

You can't benefit as greatly from your plumbing as these two have and then whine about sexism when people actually expect you to accomplish something even close to approaching the hype.

4. CR19

CR19 Member

To be perfectly honest, I don't follow NASCAR. I haven't even heard the name Michael Waltrip. However, I am well accustomed to hearing about Patrick. If she wants to become a superstar in her sport, then she actually have to accomplish something, not through political correctness or looks.

5. zagoshe

What, you want her to accomplish something before becmoing a celebrity? Stop being sexist!!!! [\Azrael]

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes, Waltrip's 4 wins in, um, 759 starts over 25 years are fucking epic. He's another Foyt or Fangio.

He's a millionaire many times over because he's good-looking enough and well spoken enough to entice sponsorships.

Just like Danica Patrick.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Michael Waltrip is good looking!?!?

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Where did this myth start that Patrick is just some hot babe who can't drive? (That would be Milka Duno.)

She's been in the top 10 in Indy every start except for 2008, and she got her car from 23rd (as part of Andretti's disastrous qualifying) to sixth this year. Her points finishes have been comparable or better than her teammates' totals. The only time she was outshined was 2008, when Tony Kanaan finished third, and she finished sixth. To say she's been on "big-money" teams is also a myth, because the biggest of the big money is Penske and Ganassi, and everyone else is racing for scraps.

Sure, she gets a lot of hype because she's an American female racer who can actually race. That's what happens when you're unique. That Patrick is marketing-savvy helps, for sure. But like with Tiger on the golf course, there are a lot of fans who watch just to see how she does. That's just a fact.

And if you're going to criticize Patrick for getting rides "only" because she's a woman, you have to criticize all the drivers who get rides "only" because their fathers and/or grandfathers raced.

My criticism of Patrick would be that her move to NASCAR is all about marketing rather than winning. If she wants to win consistently, she would be better off concentrating on wringing all she can out of her Andretti car and hoping that someday Penske or Ganassi will bring her in. The NASCAR move has marketing savvy, but it's a long hill to climb up switching from open-wheel to the racing taxicabs.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

".....enough."

"Good looking enough."

10. zagoshe

And he's also won Daytona twice.

UNLIKE Danica Patrick.

11. zagoshe

She is a good driver. She is not a great driver.

And the hype surrounding her would have us believe she is someone who is transforming the world of auto racing.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bob, does she race to win or race to get attention?

Draft saved Draft deleted