1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes anyone think Roe v. Wade will be overturned?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I've always believed, and continue to believe, that the answer is for the drug companies to make birth control free.

FREE

And I'm with Cadat.....you need to take responsibility to put yourself into a position where you don't even need to make such a decision.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The GOP will never kill their golden goose by allowing Roe to be overturned.

Once Roe goes away, so does one of their biggest rallying themes (if not the biggest) to raise funds.

They have to keep Roe around in order for it to keep making money for them.

3. That's a political argument.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Plessy was BS, Fenian. The difference is that Plessy didn't establish segregation--the way Brown vs. Board of Ed. or Griswold or Roe v. Wade established things that weren't already in place by legislative enactment. The Louisiana state legislature had established Jim Crow laws. And even though Plessy upheld what was an abhorrent practice, it didn't ascribe anything to the Constitution that wasn't in it. And that is the big difference. The court has always been a politicized institution. The difference is that with the Warren Court, it became an activist politicized institution. And that is why we have such a mess today. The court is no longer a court. It is a separate, unelected, extralegal legislature--they actually are creating our laws for us, instead of sitting on the sidelines and letting us evolve for ourselves, which is the only way societally-accepted change can happen.

It was fine when you were dealing with segregation, because the winds of change were already blowing. But what it did was open the door for increasingly activist judges to start tackling their social agendas that don't reflect the will of hundreds of millions of people they are making social decisions for. It opened the door for them to tackle anything. And we now see the end results. You get a new judge with a loonytunes agenda and he is now free to turn his political leanings into de facto laws, without regard for anything the constitution actually says.

In 1880, we were not enlightened enough as a country to not have Jim Crow laws. Just as in 1787 we weren't enlightened enough to not have slavery. And in 1900 we weren't enlightened enough to allow women to vote. And so on.

To get to those places where attitudes changed, we needed social movements and attitudes to change; we needed to do it for ourselves. It couldn't be done by nine, old unelected people making decisions for millions of people.

I am finally blowing through Jonathan Eig's book about Jackie Robinson's first year right now, and it touches on how civil rights unrest was gaining steam after WWII--when blacks came back with the attitude that if they were fighting for their country, at home they shouldn't be second-class citizens. Jackie Robinson broke in in 1947, because the time was ripe for things to start changing. It was happening endemically. And it was going to continue to happen regardless of Brown vs. Board of Ed. The Civil Rights movement would have gained steam throughout the 1950s and 1960s, without Brown. And Rosa Parks would have been Rosa Parks with or without the ruling. As would Martin Luther King Jr. We would have reached the ends of desegregated schools without nine old, unelected people doing it for us--because as a people, we were ready for it and people were demanding it.

Abortion is different because there isn't that sort of grassroots storm brewing around it. It divides the country. There is an anti-abortion movement. And there is a movement by those who want to see it legal. And they are both VERY passionate. It is divisive. And that is true whether or not the court has hijacked it. It's why Roe v. Wade is at risk if you change the activist agendas of the justices on the court.

Think about it. Brown vs. Board of Ed was never at risk if you shuffled up the court--it isn't a judicially sound ruling (it effectively created a law and gave the court the power to enforce the law it created), but it didn't do something that the country wasn't starting to do on its own. Roe v. Wade has no root in the Constitution, either. But it has not done something that is the clearcut will of the country. So because we have nine, old appointed people deciding it instead of us deciding it for ourselves, the political agendas of judges are what make it legal or illegal. Is that really how our country supposed to be? What if a new ruling makes abortion illegal by mandate of a court that makes up things in the constitution to justify it? Do you still feel that is the way our country was ever meant to operate?

I don't mind being called an originalist. The ninth amendment is the most opaque thing in the constitution. But Madison certainly never meant it to be a black hole that could be used as justification for the changing whims of nine justices. It's almost certain that the ninth amendment came about for the exact opposite reason, actually. They were afraid that by spelling out the rights in the first eight amendments, they would be giving the Constitution too much power and they wanted to assuage the fears of the state ratifying committees that they would not retain their sovereignty. They founding fathers wanted to narrow the rights ascribed to the Constitution, not make the thing so vague that it would be more powerful than the words actually printed in the document.

Griswold is strained -- even if you want to twist the ninth amendment to say it means anything the court makes up is therefore a right in the constitution (for example, a vague right to privacy), the ninth amendment only applies to the Federal government. To get to where they did in Griswold, they not only had to make up the new right -- they actually had to throw the ninth amendment in a hat with the 14th amendment and shake it up, in order to be able to apply it to the local level. Can you get any more strained than that? They shouldn't have bothered. They should have just said, "This is our agenda. We don't need justification."

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As a parent, I would also like to point out to old_tony ... who doesn't appear to be a parent, although I could certainly be wrong about that ... is that it's not just money. There's also the child's life beyond the actual birth to be considered. The environment in which that child is raised, the quality and level of parenting they receive, and so on. I'm not a fan of abortion, but I fear more what could happen to children who aren't given a fighting chance at a real life from the moment they are born.

I know, I know...adoption is your answer. Fine. When your significant other gets pregnant, put the child up for adoption if it's such an easy answer. But until you've actually been faced with some of these prospects, your words and your beliefs are impacting the lives of thousands of women in this nation. And those of their unborn, as well.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Debates like this occur because we've increasginly allowed -- and in most instances, demanded -- our federal government shred the constitution and stick their damn noses into every aspect of our lives........

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ding, ding, ding.

8. Ragu --
    Your tap-dancing around civil rights aside -- We were all coming across Jordan anyway, so Brown is bad law. Ask the people who were putting their asses on the line at the time what Brown meant. -- for an originalist, you're pretty blithe about the one amendment in the Bill of Rights that made all the others possible in that it made their ratification a fact. In fact, Madison is quite clear on a number of occasions that the Ninth Amendment does exactly what I said it does -- ensure that the Constitution always bends toward liberty by refusing to let the enumeration of rights limit them. And the original intent of the 14th amendment was to make sure that the rights guaranteed by the Constitution were not abrogated by the individual states. (That the government gave up enforcing those rights as part of the political compromises that ended Reconstruction doesn't make the intent of the 14th any different.) I know what Bork thinks about the Ninth Amendment. He's wrong, and it's one more reason to be glad an authoritarian yahoo like him never made the court.
    How Roe is the "federal government" sticking its nose in my life remains unclear.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The abortion debate makes a lot of campaign cash for a lot of candidates.

10. This is also true.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This despite the fact that it hasn't been relevant in any Presidential election -- and most other national elections -- probably since the 1970's.........

Both sides engage in fear-mongering on many issues -- that doesn't mean they are relevant.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'd say it's been relevant as a talking point and a voting point ... at least for some voters ... for the last 40 years. Maybe not on a pure national stage, but it's been there...make no mistake about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.